[x3d-public] Problem with inverted polygons/normals

Roy Walmsley roy.walmsley at ntlworld.com
Tue Nov 7 08:06:48 PST 2017

Hi Don,

I had a look at that model in my Coin3D based viewer. It definitely had problems. I modified the X3D file, changing all nine instances of the "solid" attribute from 'false' to 'true'. It looked a lot better then, but still has some problems. When I moved the model in Examine mode it would change at very specific angles. This suggests to me that, at least in my implementation, which is by no means complete, I am seeing Z-fighting issues. Is it perhaps changing the drawing order depending on the angle?

I did try changing "ccw" to 'false' for the facial geometry shape. It made it look worse, so I don't think that is the problem. I changed it back after that.

I captured a short video - sorry about the quality - to indicate the effect. It's attached.

Roy