[x3d-public] WebVR Authoring: opportunities and challenges - Call for Participation to W3C Workshop

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Nov 7 16:02:53 PST 2017

World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) is pleased to call for participation in a workshop:

   W3C Workshop on WebVR Authoring: Opportunities and Challenges
   December 5-7 2017, Brussels, Belgium
   https://www.w3.org/2017/09/webvr-authoring-workshop

Deadline for registration is 10 NOV 2017 - this Friday!

Wondering if anyone from X3D community or Web3D Consortium is planning to go?

Call For Participation

What is the purpose of this workshop?

The primary goal of the workshop is to bring together WebVR stakeholders to identify unexploited opportunities as well as technical gaps in WebVR authoring.

Participants in the workshop will:

* Share good practices and novel techniques in creating WebVR-based content,
* Discuss existing and foreseen challenges in using WebVR to deploy content and services in specific usages,
* Contribute to the unification of efforts for documenting and advocating the development of WebVR content.

We won't just be listening to presentations, but we will be actively participating in breakout sessions and working discussions covering topics identified as relevant to the participants.
How is the Web a viable platform for VR?

The Web provides a promising preexisting ecosystem for the creation, distribution, and experiencing of VR content, applications, and services.

In leveraging the Open Web Platform, we hope to provide an interoperability to avoid fragmentation and duplicated effort.

WebVR provides an API that enables the creation and distribution of VR content in browsers.