[x3d-public] Need help: Efficient use of X3D for a demo

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Tue Nov 14 18:55:11 PST 2017

Christoph,

You probably should consider your display software too. The part about
opening another window may be easier in some than others.

For the X3D portion, you should be able to download a digital terrain
elevation model (DEM) for almost anyplace in the world. The site at
https://github.com/openterrain/openterrain/wiki/Terrain-Data provides
some links. It may be harder to find ortho-rectified (warp the image of
the ground to match the DEM) map + image.

[In case someone doesn't get the sizes required: Unless your dealing
with very specialized (and probably classified) data, you will not find
data that covers 4x5km and shows individual rails. At 30m resolution
(standard size) this is a DEM of 133 x 166 or 22K points. To show rail
lines you would need ~1m data (4000x5000 == 120M points).]

I would use spheres rather than "dots" to indicate the positions. They
will look like dots from any view orientation. Just put a Anchor on each
one (though that may need to be modified depending on the X3D player).

Resources Needed:

 1. DEM
 2. Orthrorectified image for (1)
 3. Flight plan (way points) for each drone
 4. Video for each drone

Get DEM and orthorectified image first. That is probably the toughest to
find.

Useful nodes:

 1. ElevationGrid
 2. ImageTexture
 3. Anchor (1 for each drone)
 4. TimeSensor
 5. PositionInterpolator (1 for each drone)

A bunch of other container-type nodes are needed, but not listed above.

The X3D needed to do this is fairly straightforward and probably can be
done by hand. Vince recommended NetBeans for X3D-Edit. It is also
possible to run X3D-Edit without NetBeans (at least it use to be - I
haven't done it in a while).

Leonard Daly

> Hi all,
>
> I have got a problem.
>
> I need to implement a short "fake" demo with following content:
>
> - 3 dimensional display of a real 3D map of approx 20 square
> kilometres (e.g. anywhere in Austria, preferably containing some
> railway tracks)
> - displaying 5 to 10 "red dots" (i.e. drones) moving around
> (pre-defined trajectories)
> - clicking on a drone opens a new window playing a pre-defined 2D
> video (different videos for different drones)
>
> Single Player Scene, just running on a Windows Laptop.
>
> I have got approx. 30 staff hours for myself to implement the demo.
> Zero additional cost acceptable.
>
> I have got a little bit X3D know how (experience with hobby project
> SrrTrains v0.01) and I am owning a paper copy of the book "X3D
> Extensible 3D" by Brutzman and Daly.
>
> I am thinking of using Eclipse + Xj3d to implement this demo, but when
> trying to download the Eclipse plugin, www.xj3d.org
> <http://www.xj3d.org> requests a user name and password from me, which
> I do not have.
>
> Can anybody help?
>
> Kind regards,
> Christoph
>

> The information contained in this e-mail message is privileged and
> confidential and is for the exclusive use of the addressee. The person
> who receives this message and who is not the addressee, one of his
> employees or an agent entitled to hand it over to the addressee, is
> informed that he may not use, disclose or reproduce the contents
> thereof, and is kindly asked to notify the sender and delete the
> e-mail immediately.

*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant
LA ACM SIGGRAPH Past Chair