[x3d-public] Need help: Efficient use of X3D for a demo

Valentin Christoph Christoph.Valentin at kapsch.net
Sat Nov 25 02:07:45 PST 2017

Hi all,

Keeping you posted (as you requested):

1) I found my home city Vienna publishes 1m terrain data in 2.5km x 2.5 km tiles by a Creative Commons license --> perfect

1a) Selected a tile containing the area between Western railway station and Schönbrunn castle

2) BS Contact renders the terrain perfectly, but I cannot use BS Contact for this demo (this is currently being a "black project" and I cannot buy a license without asking somebody)

3) Tried to install Xj3d but I am not a Java/LINUX guru, would need to ask colleagues for help (which I cannot do, because - you know it - this is being a "black project")

4) Installed FreeWrl without problems, but FreeWrl crashed with the demo - obviously the 77 MB texture .jpg was too big - runs clean, if I remove the texture.

5) Next steps: downsize the texture file, get familiar with FreeWRL, implement the rest of the demo. Deadline 2018-01-11

6) The actual amount of staff hours is not really important, as long as it can be "hidden" (black project :-)

7) Bonus information: I am in favor of using the DIS component for this "black project" (as soon as it comes to being multiuser), however this cannot prejudice some official decision that might be taken in a few weeks or months.

8) This project is completely independent of SrrTrains!!!!!!!!!! Both have to be strictly separated.

All the best
Christoph