[x3d-public] Minutes of X3D WG Meeting Wednesday 20th September 2017 [Public Release]

Roy Walmsley roy.walmsley at ntlworld.com
Tue Oct 3 03:19:51 PDT 2017

Public release of the minutes of the X3D WG meeting held on Wednesday 20th
September 2017 at 0800 PST, 1600 BST 1500 UTC.

Attendees: Roy Walmsley, Leonard Daly, Dick Puk, Anita Havele, Vince
Marchetti (late arrival)

Apologies received: Don Brutzman, Vince Marchetti (late arrival)

===========================

A. Outstanding matters

                None.

===========================

B. Summary and Technical reports

Opportunity for anyone to make a short report on Web site, marketing,
communication, specification or technical matters that is not already on the
Agenda.

1.	Report on Mantis SG meeting held 14th September 2017

Reference:
http://web3d.org/mailman/private/x3d_web3d.org/2017-September/006319.html

Roy summarized the minutes of the previous week's Mantis subgroup meeting.
Six issues were discussed, and all had their status updated to Acknowledged.

Since Don would also be unavailable for the scheduled Mantis SG meeting due
Thursday 21st September, and Dick was unable to rearrange, the Mantis SG
meeting was cancelled.

2.	Member-only material

3.	X3D/glTF feature comparison

The glTF/X3D feature comparison published by Leonard at
http://realism.com/blog/gltf-x3d-comparison was highlighted, and Leonard was
thanked for the work gone into preparing this document.

4.	X3D Roadmap

Anita introduced the X3D Roadmap Google document, that was shared with all
meeting participants. This document was reviewed, and edited in place by all
participants. Discussion centred on goals for the Web3D Consortium, both
general and specific.

5.	Mission statement

Anita introduced the Web3D Consortium mission statement on the About web
page at http://www.web3d.org/about. Leonard supplied a reference to a
general discussion of what makes a great mission statement, which explained
that it should answer 1) What do we do? 2) How do we do it? 3) Whom do we do
it for? and 4) What value are we bringing? The mission statement was edited
in place to try to answer all four questions. Once complete, two copies of
the original mission statement on other web pages were replaced with a link
to this page.

===========================

C. Discussion Topics

1.	X3D integration into HTML5 - Events and Event models

Reference:
http://www.web3d.org/wiki/index.php/X3D_V4_HTML_Integration_Requirements

2.	Approval of draft Specification Relationships diagram

Reference:
http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dSpecificationRelationships.2017August
11.png

3.	Profiles review covering 1) purpose of profile and 2) node content

Reference:
http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/profileInd
ex.html

4.	Korea Chapter Presentations Review - H-Anim Facial Animation

Reference:
http://www.web3d.org/sites/default/files/page/Korea%20Chapter%20Meeting%20SI
GGRAPH%202017/10_HAnimFacialAnimation170731.pdf

None were discussed.

===========================

D. Specification work, GitHub, and Mantis issues

None set.

===========================

E. Schedule review

Other topics for discussion not yet assigned are:

Investigate other 3D display capabilities: Glam and CSS.

*         GLAM see https://tparisi.github.io/glam/

Timo Sturm of Fraunhofer to talk about advanced materials. Also with Max
Limper re SRC/glTF interoperability, X3DOM support and repeatability.

September 27th -

October 4th -

October 11th -

October 18th -

F. Date and time of next meeting

September 27th 2017 at 0800 PDT 1600 BST 1500 UTC

Roy Walmsley

X3D WG co-chair