[x3d-public] Sequencer interval definition; range definitions, examples

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sat Oct 7 14:18:27 PDT 2017

On 10/2/2017 8:59 AM, Richard F. Puk wrote:
> Hi –
>
> Note that standards documents are intended for experts in the field. Mathematical notation should be a standard part of this expertise and need not be explained.

this is also important so that international standards are fully consistent.

"Mathematics is the language of clear thinking."

Richard W. Hamming, "Learning to Learn: The Art of Doing Science and Engineering"

[...]

> \******************************************

Excellent suggestion.  Of note is that Wikipedia article also recommends defining usage.  I've added the follow-on block to the tooltips, improvements welcome:

Range (mathematics)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Range_(mathematics)

[...]
_Distinguishing between the two uses_
As the term "range" can have different meanings, it is considered a good practice to define it the first time it is used in a textbook or article.
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/X3dTooltips.html#Ranges

Ranges may be defined to set lower and upper bounds on allowed attribute values. These are typically defined by the X3D specification in order to avoid illegal or illogical values. Range constraints are checked by schema validation tools (but not XML DTD). Example range values:

*   [0,1] places limits on an allowed value from range 0 to 1, inclusive.
*   (0,+∞) is positive, i.e. greater than zero and less than positive infinity.
*   [-1,+∞) is greater than or equal to -1.
*   (-∞,+∞) is unbounded, any numeric value is allowed.

Have also added a number of addition XML datatype definitions and link titles (i.e. tooltip tooltips) to facilitate better clarity in the validation jargon.  Hope that provides some helpful convenience.

http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/X3dTooltips.html#Anchor
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/X3dTooltips.html#accessType
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/X3dTooltips.html#type
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/X3dTooltips.html#XML