[x3d-public] touchTime for all pointing device sensors ?

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 09:05:07 PDT 2017

touchTime is very similar to isActive except that the mouse still has
to be over the shape when the mouse button is released. Since isOver
and isActive are already fields for drag sensors, perhaps touchTime
should be as well.

touchTime is often used to get a startTime for an TimeSensor to
trigger an animation. So an example application would be have a drag
sensor which also acts as a start button; a bit contrived but not very
much so.

It is true that most of the times the mouse ends up outside of the
shape after dragging. So touchTime would not be useful as a trigger to
do something after dragging ends.

But I am looking more for examples where it would lead to some,
unintended conflict if touchTime were used on a drag sensor.

-Andreas

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 11:43 AM, John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com> wrote:
> I do not think you want touch while you are dragging, but I could be wrong.
> Maybe they are more events than sensors.   Just thinking out loud.
>
> John
>
> On Oct 25, 2017 11:19 AM, "Andreas Plesch" <andreasplesch at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As I am working on adding the touchTime field to TouchSensor in x3dom,
> I am finding that it would be more natural (in x3dom) to make the
> touchTime field available to all nodes with a X3DPointingDeviceSensor
> base, not just X3DTouchSensor.
>
> http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/components/pointingsensor.html#X3DPointingDeviceSensorNode
>
> defines isActive and isOver already and touchTime can be seen as a
> combination of these fields. So it feels a bit arbitrary that
> touchTime is omitted here.
>
> Was/Is there some conflict which prevents touchTime from being
> considered as a drag sensor field, in addition to isOver and is Active
> ? There are almost certainly situations where touchTime for drag
> sensors could be useful, in particular when used with event utility
> nodes.
>
> I am tempted to just add touchTime as a non-standard field to the drag
> sensors in x3dom since it would actually streamline code. Could that
> lead to some compliant scenes not behaving correctly ? I cannot really
> imagine that it could.
>
> -Andreas
>

> --
> Andreas Plesch