[x3d-public] Here's something worth tracking down Roy: Normal accompanying PointSet

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Thu Oct 26 08:47:47 PDT 2017

[Responding to the most recent message on this topic]

It will be necessary to very carefully define what this means.
Individual points do not have a normal -- it is mathematically
impossible. In fact it takes at least three points to get the number of
normals to a finite number. If normals are going to be defined based on
a collection of points, then it will be necessary to carefully define
how the collection is obtained and ordered.

If a normal is assigned to each point, then it defines a orientated
(front/back) plane that is perpendicular to the normal.

If an algorithm is going to be used to construct normals, than I believe
the X3D is not the right place for that calculation. It is a display
tool and not an analysis or constructor tool.

Leonard Daly

On 10/26/2017 8:21 AM, Don Brutzman wrote:
> I recommend that inclusion of Normal as allowed with PointSet and
> ILS/LS be only found in X3D v4 JSON schema.
>
> I will accept the action to update this design-pattern example to X3D
> v4 with corresponding content-model validation by v4 XML Schema and DTD.

*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant
LA ACM SIGGRAPH Past Chair