[x3d-public] [x3dom-developers] updated X3D node, statement inventory spreadsheets: X3DOM node addition recommendations

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 14:03:32 PDT 2017

On Sun, Sep 3, 2017 at 4:22 PM, Don Brutzman <brutzman at nps.edu> wrote:

> On 9/2/2017 1:35 PM, Andreas Plesch wrote:
>
>> Looking at event utilities:
>>
>> Example for sequencers (interpolators)
>>
>> http://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter09Ev
>> entUtilitiesScripting/BooleanSequencerIntegerSequencerIndex.html
>>
>> (BTW cobweb needs http rather than https for this example, seemingly due
>> to CORS during to font loading).
>>

> Do you mean the Cobweb .js and .css references in autogenerated html pages
> containing Cobweb-rendered scenes?

https://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter09EventUtilitiesScripting/BooleanSequencerIntegerSequencerCobweb.html

shows these errors on the console:

Blocked loading mixed active content “
http://cdn.rawgit.com/create3000/cobweb/master/cobweb.js/fonts/DroidSerif-Regular.ttf”[Learn
More]

This to me looks more like it is related to internal cobweb font loading.
Perhaps it is already fixed with the latest x-cite ?

Currently am using form recommended by Cobweb, i.e.

>         http://create3000.de/cobweb/getting-started/
>
>       <link rel="stylesheet"
>             type="text/css"
>             href="https://cdn.rawgit.com/create3000/cobweb/master/stable
> /latest/cobweb.css"/>
>       <script type="text/javascript" src="https://cdn.rawgit.com/cr
> eate3000/cobweb/master/stable/latest/cobweb.min.js"></script>

To me that looks good. There is also a way to use the default protocol by
using a protocol relative url:
src="//cdn.rawgit.com/create3000/cobweb/master/stable/latest/cobweb.min.js
<https://cdn.rawgit.com/create3000/cobweb/master/stable/latest/cobweb.min.js>
"

> If so, I can change the conversion script to http as follows:
>
>       <link rel="stylesheet"
>             type="text/css"
>             href="http://cdn.rawgit.com/create3000/cobweb/master/stable/
> latest/cobweb.css"/>
>       <script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdn.rawgit.com/cre
> ate3000/cobweb/master/stable/latest/cobweb.min.js"></script>
>
> Can you or Holger please advise on preferred form?

Holger would need to chime in since it looks to me it may be a cobweb issue.

> Meanwhile have been using http (not https) for X3DOM:
>
>       <!-- Developer X3DOM release version: http://www.x3dom.org/download/
> dev -->
>       <link rel="stylesheet"
>             type="text/css"
>             href="http://www.x3dom.org/download/dev/x3dom.css"/>
>       <script type="text/javascript"
>               src="http://www.x3dom.org/download/dev/x3dom-full.js"/>
>
> ... but am seeing https now used on the HelloX3DOM example:
>
>         https://doc.x3dom.org/tutorials/basics/hello/HelloX3DOM.html
>
>         view-source:https://doc.x3dom.org/tutorials/basics/hello/Hel
> loX3DOM.html
>
> Can you or someone on Fraunhofer team advise on preferred form?

Fraunhofer started offering https delivery of x3dom which would be normally
preferred. Protocol relative URLs may work best since people may access
examples using either protocol.

> A Sequencers implementation should be able to use Interpolator
>> implementations as a starting point (or could be internally a Interpolator
>> plus type conversion).
>>
>> https://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter09E
>> ventUtilitiesScripting/BooleanToggleIndex.html
>>
>> If all the TimeTriggers, BooleanFilters and BooleanToggles are really
>> needed, it may be insightful to see if the effect could be accomplished in
>> a less involved way, without or with event utilities (perhaps by
>> adding/removing routes).
>>
>> Looking for a simpler but still useful example.
>>
>> -Andreas
>>

> Hmmm, side-by-side display comparisons of each event utility node versus a
> corresponding Script node might be interesting.

I guess, using the event utility nodes just leads to somewhat verbose
scenes which at first looks distracting but is not really a disadvantage
(although large web sites would care int terms of bandwidth).

> brutzman at nps.edu
> Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA
> +1.831.656.2149
> X3D graphics, virtual worlds, navy robotics http://faculty.nps.edu/brutzma

Andreas Plesch
39 Barbara Rd.