[x3d-public] [x3dom-developers] updated X3D node, statement inventory spreadsheets: X3DOM node addition recommendations

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 14:23:58 PDT 2017

Hi Don,

On Sun, Sep 3, 2017 at 4:44 PM, Don Brutzman <brutzman at nps.edu> wrote:

> copy: Johannes, Max, Timo
>
> Andreas, the example result for CoordinateDouble looks excellent.  Screen
> snapshot attached.  Thanks!

You are welcome.

> In addition to your important questions, am also wondering: is there any
> kind of test suite or acceptance tests that get run before accepting a pull
> request on the main branch of x3dom on github?  Once again, documentation
> regarding node-addition procedures would be helpful for everyone.

Automated testing and building using CI tools (such github integrated
travis) would be great and actually necessary for continued maintenance. It
requires a dedicated effort by some but should be doable, at least the
building.
I think for now it is necessary for somebody to spend time on reviewing,
testing, and merging. Some of that will be always necessary.

I submitted the CoordinateDouble node implementation as a PR:
https://github.com/x3dom/x3dom/pull/767

I also submitted a first (and perhaps pretty final)
Integer/BooleanSequencer implementations as a PR:
https://github.com/x3dom/x3dom/pull/768

The PR has linked example use of these new implementations.

It is somewhat insightful to look at the commit histories to see what I did
during the implementation which turned out to be fun due to rapid progress.

I am afraid that studying the code and existing node implementations will
remain the main path to learn node-addition procedures. I sort of planned
to roughly lay out the key ingredients in the sequencer js code. Perhaps I
can add more extensive commenting. I remember I asked questions about
fieldChanged and nodeChanged methods on the developer list.

Generally it works best to start with a similar node and modify it a bit.

Leonard and me had some limited exchanges which may be helpful as well.

-Andreas

On 9/2/2017 1:00 PM, Andreas Plesch wrote:

>> https://jsfiddle.net/fzzgso28/1/
>>
>> has only the scene with CoordinateDouble. The CoordinateDouble.js (
>> https://github.com/andreasplesch/x3dom/blob/CoordinateDoubl
>> e/src/nodes/Rendering/CoordinateDouble.js) implementation is linked
>> under external resources.
>>
>> -Andreas
>>

>> On Sat, Sep 2, 2017 at 12:21 PM, Andreas Plesch <andreasplesch at gmail.com
>> <mailto:andreasplesch at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     It looks like my response did not make it the x3d-public list Don's
>> response to it then did.
>>
>>     These days there does not seem to be much of a x3dom developer
>> community although I believe there is still an important x3dom user
>> community.
>>
>>     Fraunhofer is silent on the lists and on github. Patches via PRs go
>> stale.
>>
>>     So it comes down to very specific needs on a per project basis to
>> what gets looked at and is deemed critical. Some users just modify x3dom
>> itself to fit their needs.
>>
>>     The x3dom profile discussion happened a long time ago:
>>
>>     https://www.x3dom.org/nodes-2/
>>
>>     Nevertheless, I bit and implemented CoordinateDouble as a node
>> identical to Coordinate except for naming. x3dom cannot distinguish between
>> MFVec3f and MFVec3d.
>>
>>     https://github.com/andreasplesch/x3dom/blob/CoordinateDouble
>> /src/nodes/Rendering/CoordinateDouble.js <https://github.com/andreasple
>> sch/x3dom/blob/CoordinateDouble/src/nodes/Rendering/CoordinateDouble.js>
>>
>>     It can be used by simply loading the script after x3dom.js:
>>
>>     https://jsfiddle.net/fzzgso28/
>>
>>     I do not think there are other files which need to be touched.
>>
>>     Perhaps that provides some insight,
>>
>>     Andreas
>>
>>     --     Andreas Plesch
>>     39 Barbara Rd.
>>     Waltham, MA 02453

> brutzman at nps.edu
> Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA
> +1.831.656.2149
> X3D graphics, virtual worlds, navy robotics http://faculty.nps.edu/brutzma

Andreas Plesch
39 Barbara Rd.