[x3d-public] This looks cool for curving and bending 3D text in blender

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 01:59:36 PDT 2017

Not bad:

https://waylanddesign.wordpress.com/2013/10/13/properly-curving-text-in-blender/

Looks like it’s a matter of remeshing the letters, one by one.

I’m wondering if things have improved since 2013.  Better meshes to start with?  A different way of designing fonts for 3D?

Would be nice if you could detect the curve, and then automatically remesh when there’s a curve.

Would converting the initial triangles (as shown in on the web page) in the 3D text to NURBS surfaces help?   Obviously in some kind of preprocessor step to rendering.   Say we did it for each code point in the font. Is bending a NURBS surface unreliable?

I have forgotten most of what I learned about NURBS surfaces.

Is 3D text already NURBS surfaces?  https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/Maya/files/Transforming-objects-Create-text-htm.html it looks like they are.   Does Blender handle NURBS surfaces fonts?  Can we use NURBS fonts in Blender and skip the first web page?  Or do NURBS surfaces fonts create weird artifacts when bending as well?

What NURBS surfaces fonts are available?

Wondering!