[x3d-public] Labels in 3D

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 16:25:07 PDT 2017

I am not familiar with the library except by seeing demos. I assume you can use a z-index to layer SVG over X3DOM.

I believe I’ve mixed SVG and canvas before.  Not successfully if I recall right.  The coordinate systems for canvas and SVG were too different, and I couldn’t draw lines in canvas that were zoomable that looked good.  Ultimately I went with straight X3DOM.  I can try integrating the d3-annoation library with my cross-sectioned earth in X3DOM and d3.js, if you want me to try.

Best to look at the demos and see what you think you can get out of it.  I have mixed D3.js with X3DOM, but not by using SVG elements or 2D canvas.

Really no clue, just thought we might be able to mix SVG/Canvas/XSeen.  Probably not.   That could be a problem for interoperability.

The library comes highly recommended from data visualization gurus, and is used in projects in Netflix, but if you can’t make it work, too bad. There’s another Netflix project which combines d3.js, d3-annotation, and react, namely Semiotic: https://medium.com/@Elijah_Meeks/introducing-semiotic-for-data-visualization-88dc3c6b6926 specifically on that page, see the layers figure.

John

Sent from Mail for Windows 10