[x3d-public] Labels in 3D

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 08:15:03 PDT 2017

If the labels should live in the 3d space of the scene as bill boards,
another approach would be to render the html to a texture using these
approaches:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Canvas_API/Drawing_DOM_objects_into_a_canvas
https://html2canvas.hertzen.com/documentation.html

x3dom can then use the canvas element directly as a texture for a rectangle
plane bill boarded next to the object to be labelled.

The leader line in this case is simply a 3d line or tube from the object to
the label rectangle.

Ideas, Andreas

> Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2017 11:51:11 -0700
> From: Leonard Daly <Leonard.Daly at realism.com>
> To: X3D Public <x3d-public at web3d.org>
> Subject: [x3d-public] Labels in 3D
>
> This is mostly for Nicholas and Vince who expressed an interest in
> labeling things in 3D where the labels had the capability of HTML to
> include various fonts, styles, text, graphics, links, etc.
>
> I would like to know if these types of labels meet your needs or
> something else is needed.
>
> This is using my testbed (XSeen). The example is at
> http://realism.com/XSEEN/test/labels.html.
>
> All labels are done in HTML. The lines connecting the label to the 3D
> object is done in 3D space. The labels retain their screen position as
> the camera is moved. There are three types of labels illustrated in the
> example -- fixed, relative, and draggable.
>
> The fixed label is attached to the "monster" The label line tracks the
> local origin of the monster model.
>
> The relative label maintains the initial relative screen position to the
> projection of the (local) origin of the object. The label moves as the
> object moves. This is particularly obvious when looking from the side.
>
> The last label (draggable) is attached to the torus. The user may move
> the label to any position in the canvas (2D projection of the 3D space).
> The leader line maintains the connection from the label to the object.
>
> There is preliminary documentation on the tag at
> http://tools.realism.com/specification/xseen/language-
> definition/user-interactions/label
>
> Caveats:
> 1) The leader lines do not track well when the camera position is
> changing nor when a draggable label is being moved.
> 2) Things don't work as you would expect (or hope) for the stereo camera.
>

> --
> *Leonard Daly*
> 3D Systems & Cloud Consultant
> LA ACM SIGGRAPH Chair
> President, Daly Realism - /Creating the Future/
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

> End of x3d-public Digest, Vol 102, Issue 25

Andreas Plesch
Waltham, MA 02453