[x3d-public] *** COBWEB IS NOW X_ITE ***

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Sep 21 16:14:43 PDT 2017

Thanks for the great news and steady accomplishments Holger.  Exciting!  8)

The following updates have been made to take advantage of this release.

	X3D Resources: Applications, Players and Plugins for X3D / VRML Viewing
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#Applications
	"Special mention. X_ITE X3D Browser (formerly Cobweb) implements a high-performance X3D player in open-source JavaScript. Authors can publish X3D source within an HTML5 page that works with Web browsers without prior plugin installation."

All of the example models that I've checked have worked fine, further testing welcome.

	X3D Examples Archives (3904 scenes as test corpus)
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#Examples

	X3D Example Archives: X3D for Advanced Modeling, Animation, Cube With Labeled Sides Viewpoint Sequencer
	http://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForAdvancedModeling/Animation/CubeWithLabeledSidesViewpointSequencerIndex.html
	http://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForAdvancedModeling/Animation/CubeWithLabeledSidesViewpointSequencerX_ITE.html

*One portability problem noted.*  X_ITE doesn't seem to work on Windows systems under Internet Explorer browser, works fine on Microsoft Edge browser.  (Perhaps a Javascript version support limitation?  We've tested on three machines and have reported the issue.)

Conversion stylesheet X3dToX3dom.xslt has been updated.  A parameter designates whether HTML output is tuned for X3DOM or X_ITE.  Cosmetic TODO items will rename internal variables, will likely also rename stylesheet as X3dToDom.xslt in a future release to better reflect generality for X3D version 4 experimentation.

X3D-Edit build 3.3.124 features include X_ITE export, with "triangles" button and X3D > View Saved Scene menu item now tuned for X_ITE.  X3D-Edit plugin autoupdate tested satisfactorily for both Netbeans plugin and standalone application.

	X3D-Edit 3.3 open-source Extensible 3D (X3D) Graphics authoring tool
	https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit

X3DJSAIL now has corresponding methods for output:

	X3D Java Scene Access Interface Library (X3DJSAIL)
	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/java/X3DJSAIL.html

	X3DObject now has method toFileX_ITE()
	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/java/javadoc/org/web3d/x3d/jsail/Core/X3DObject.html#toFileX_ITE-java.lang.String-java.lang.String-

with prior method toFileCobweb() maintained for backwards compatibility and mapping to X_ITE.

Example Java source and outputs:

	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/java/examples/HelloWorldProgram.java
	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/java/examples/HelloWorldProgramOutput.x3d
	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/java/examples/HelloWorldProgramOutputX_ITE.html

New features are interesting:

	http://create3000.de/x_ite/whats-new

> Cobweb is now X_ITE
>
> Leipzig, 23nd August 2017: Cobweb is now X_ITE. We changed its name to X_ITE to better reflect the purpose and design of X3D. Though the project's name may have changed, its programming still includes correctness, usability, flexibility, extensibility, and safety.
>
> X_ITE is now available from our own server at code.create3000.de. Just include the following URL's into your HTML and you are up to date again:
> [...]
> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://code.create3000.de/x_ite/4.0.5/dist/x_ite.css"/>
> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://code.create3000.de/x_ite/4.0.5/dist/x_ite.min.js"></script>
>
> Additionally X_ITE is now available via GitHub CDN and jsDelivr CDN.

(am using the "latest" distribution as default so that online examples track the latest/greatest X_ITE implementation.)

On 9/20/2017 12:44 PM, Holger Seelig wrote:
> Leipzig, 20th September 2017: Cobweb is now X_ITE. We finally released version 4.0.5 now of X_ITE now.
>
> For more information and brand new examples visit the X_ITE website now:
> http://create3000.de/x_ite/
>
> Wish you all the best,
> Holger
>> --
> Holger Seelig
> Mediengestalter Digital – Digital Media Designer
>
> Scheffelstraße 31a
> 04277 Leipzig
> Germany
>
> Cellular: +49 176 420 479 37
> E-Mail:   holger.seelig at create3000.de
> Web:      http://create3000.de
>
> X_ITE X3D Browser - Have you seen this?

Again thanks Holger.  Having fun with X3D!