[x3d-public] Css-3d tags

Nicholas Polys npolys at vt.edu
Fri Sep 22 11:09:20 PDT 2017

This is a good paper
describing some other possibilities for conceptualizing 'styling'

Jan Sutter, Kristian Sons, and Philipp Slusallek. 2015. A CSS integration
model for declarative 3D. In *Proceedings of the 20th International
Conference on 3D Web Technology* (Web3D '15). ACM, New York, NY, USA,
209-217. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2775292.2775295

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Leonard Daly <Leonard.Daly at realism.com>
wrote:

> Andreas,
>
> This looks very interesting. I will need to spend some time on it to make
> sure I fully understand it.
>
> I too struggled with understanding "style" in 3D. There is a style to
> films (and the CG in it) that might be used. I think another way to think
> of things is as like DEF/USE. The <class3d> tags define the DEF and they
> are used in class3d='...'. I have not tried to think through all of the
> potential DEF/USE cases to see what does and does not work. So far I do
> know that it should work for all Appearance related properties (Material,
> ImageTexture, etc.). XSeen does not support modeling (models are imported),
> so geometry constructions are not relevant. Animation is the other big
> area. I don't know about that one yet. I am working on revising the simple
> animation capability and will find out later.
>
> Leonard Daly
>

> In Leonard's nomenclature classes are collections of specific styles. This
> is in contrast to HTML where classes are collections of elements.
> Nevertheless, here is a potential way to use paths or any css selector to
> assign styles to matching elements in a preprocessing phase. Say there is a
> tag such as
>
> <css3d objects=selectorString styles='shape box' />
>
> where shape and box are defined class3ds.
>
> Then in a preprocessing step it would be possible to go through all css3d
> elements, select matching target elements and add a class3d='shape box'
> attribute to each. In pseudocode:
>
> document.querySelectorAll('css3d').for each(function(El){
> styles=El.styles
>
> document.querySelectorAll(selectorString).for
> each(addclass3d.bind(styles))
>
> )})
>
> function addclass3d(El) {
> El.setAttribute('class3d', this)
> \\better merge into existing value
> }
>
> This is rough but could work I think.
>
> The larger question if it is possible to separate semantic content from
> presentation in 3d scenes. Is geometry always content and size or color
> always style ? Are small animations always just a stylistic aid, never
> critical ?
>
> In HTML CSS is mostly used to make pages 'pretty' and sometimes look
> coherent across a larger site. What is the equivalent use for 3d scenes ?
> Perhaps this suggests that css would be most useful if it worked across
> multiple scenes ?
>
> Andreas

> *Leonard Daly*
> 3D Systems & Cloud Consultant
> LA ACM SIGGRAPH Chair
> President, Daly Realism - *Creating the Future*

Nicholas F. Polys, Ph.D.

Director of Visual Computing
Virginia Tech Research Computing

Affiliate Professor
Virginia Tech Department of Computer Science