[x3d-public] Distributed Interactive Simulation Component

GPU Group gpugroup at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 07:36:06 PDT 2018

Thanks for the Background on DIS and links, I missed a few.
>  Can you wait until then?
(I had hoped to reach v3.3 FULL_PROFILE to prove it can be done, not
illusive goal -just 6 DIS nodes away from full profile- but ..)
Yes, or maybe I can go just a little further and prepare a few more
questions / complaints / notes as seen from non-DIS-expert trying to
implement, to share with your class. And yes would be great to work with
your students on it if I'm available at the time. The great thing about DIS
it should work with any tool that can join the exercise.
I'll prepare a .msi installer in the next few weeks. Or if any of your
students can stomach C they are very welcome to try hacking freewrl.
-Doug

PS I do have the simple transform part of espdu working in scenes like
http://dug9.users.sourceforge.net/web3d/tests/DIS/EspduTransformSenderReceiver.x3d
(which white-screens for me in x3d-edit embedded xj3d in win10 and Ubuntu)
and tested wtih x3d-edit sender panel
and used the xmlpg to do a CGenerator.java to generate a flat-C .h/.c used
in freewrl
x haven't done dead reckoning, geoCoords, collision, fire, detonation,
create/remove, manager or radio,
(in large part because of personal confusion about how its supposed to work
-never seen professional DIS simm- and no DIS-working xj3d to test
hypotheses^ against, lack of specific examples for collision, fire,
detonation, manager.)

^Hypotheses how geoCoords work for DIS nodes:
like GeoLocation,
Scene
.LCS (local coordinate system as described in precision section of
geospatial: shared cartesian)
..(dis node with geoCoords)
... TCS - topocentric coordinate system aka LGS local geodetic system as
described in GeoLocation
.... Transform part of espdu
..... children in entity coords
On Send from isWriter/owner, the translation and rotation are combined with
TCS translation and rotation, converted to GC and sent as GC
On Receive, GC converted to TCS, TCS to LCS transform is updated, and
translation, rotation part of Transform is set to default 000 0100

Hypothesis for how Manager node works:
- its an isReader, there's no simulation manager in web3d specs, no way to
generate create/remove events
- when espdu gets create/remove pdus, it does nothing with them, and the
scene needs to route/forward them to the Manager for creating/removing
espdus