[x3d-public] remove SF/MFInt32 ?

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 19:40:05 PDT 2018

Thanks for chiming in, Don, considering first principles.

>From a hardware/software perspective, I think it is impossible to not
recognize the large evolution from early VRML times to today which ought to
be reflected somehow in X3D.

Another way to approach the question if there is an opportunity or if such
an idea is just a distraction, is to consider why there is not a SFInt16 or
SFInt8 type. The thinking at the time may have been that there is a need
for integers for indices but also a need to keep it simple and only have a
single one, int32. On the other hand, for floats let's have both 32 and
64bit.

Ist there a time when this reasoning becomes obsolete and there is a call
for a higher level of abstraction ? Can a browser be smart enough to decide
how numbers are internally represented for various purposes so an author
does not have to be concerned about that ?

Reconsidering, a first step may be to simply rename SF/MFInt32 to SF/MFInt
and leave it up to the browser how many different integers it can represent
?

To ease such a transition both names can coexist for a while.

-Andreas