[x3d-public] X3D JSON Schema Updates: determining event constraints for SFTime durations and timestamps

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 15:56:32 PDT 2018

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018, 4:47 PM Don Brutzman <brutzman at nps.edu> wrote:

> This email thread gets the ball rolling (or perhaps the clock ticking!)...
> we will need an X3D Working Group call to tackle this topic and look at
> SFTime issues/actions.

Let's see if other people chime in.

> ==========================
>
> 5. Next, regarding X3D JSON Schema.
>
> > Normally, I copy the 3.3 JSON schema to 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 and 4.0, so that
> will be what I do.  If this is drastically different than previous schemas
> for those versions, let me know.  I don’t know what I’ll do, but at least
> I’ll know.
>
> You can see all the variations corresponding to X3D versions in the
> specification itself:
>
> X3D Abstract Specification,  Annex Z (normative) Version content
>
> http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/versionContent.html
>
> So yes there are a lot of differences.  Each time we get modifications to
> X3D XML DTD or Schema it usually takes me maybe two hours to carefully
> apply diffs from X3D v3.3 to versions 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 and 4.0 then update
> documentation.

Okay, perhaps it is time to start generating the other versions for the
X3DUOM.

> > I think it’s best to autogenerate these schema fields as snippets from
> the X3DUOM and upgrade the JSON schema by using autogenerated snippets.
> It appears according to the standard that many of these fields are new
> ones. Plus snippets are less error prone.   So let’s get them into the
> object model soon.

It looks like some already are?

> Agreed, that is getting onto my long-range radar... autogenerating JSON
> Schema via XSLT stylesheet will be an excellent test of X3D Unified Object
> Model, and prose/links i that page are now updated online as well.

Please do not spend time on this.  It's more important to get more versions
of the object model.

> X3D Unified Object Model (X3DUOM)
> http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3DUOM.html
>
> Extra-credit issues:
> a. generating X3DObjectModel-3.3.xml files for each X3D version
>     http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3DObjectModel-3.3.xml

That's your task, Don, or someone who is familiar with your builds/Xslt.

> b. both X3DJSAIL and X3DJSONLD may have enough information embedded
> already to generate matching JSON schemas.

Yes, given an X3DUOM file, I should be able to create a python script or
shell script which generates the JSON schema for each version with some
slight modifications (commandline parameters).   We just need the X3DUOM
files and a bit more testing validation of the JSON schema.  That already
exists (My 5.0 and 5.1 schemas I posted).

Unless of course, you want to create the mother of all X3DUOM files and put
all the versions in one file.   We can certainly do that, but I will still
probably separate out the JSON schema versions.