[x3d-public] X3D JSON Schema Updates: support for different X3D versions

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Apr 18 07:38:38 PDT 2018

Thanks for the idea... version-wise, am thinking we are covered already so that specification annex is OK as is.

In addition to Annex Z we have custom XML Schemas, XML DTDs, and now X3DUOM .xml files (which include full listings of nodes, fields and node types) for each version of X3D.  So that is quite thorough at documenting each.

As discussed, once we are fully stabilized on JSON Schema design patterns, we will be able to autogenerate all five versions of that as as well (3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 4.0).

Similar autogeneration progress will be possible for regularizing the Python bindings for X3D, am eager to further explore what you recently accomplished.

I expect that today's X3D Working Group teleconference examining the C, C++ and C# language bindings for X3D will identify further synergies.

So we really are approaching the point where X3D programming and X3D file formats are quite diverse yet consistent, unified by a shared object model and graphics patterns.

This all builds a tremendous foundation for X3D v4.  There really has never been a better time to join Web3D to support these interoperability efforts.

Have fun with all X3D versions!  8)