[x3d-public] vrml to x3d field name changes

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 07:48:47 PDT 2018

The 'level_changed' field of the LOD node
(http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/components/navigation.html#LOD)
currently does not work in the x_ite browser although it is correctly
implemented. The problem is that x_ite also understands vrml97 and
aliases vrml field names to equivalent x3d field names in a
straightforward manner
(https://github.com/create3000/x_ite/issues/11). This is fine in most
cases but for the LOD node it leads to a conflict. Vrml has a 'level'
field (http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/14772/V2.0/part1/nodesRef.html#LOD)
which is aliased to the corresponding 'children' x3d field. A
'level_changed' event therefore is then treated as output from the
MFNode 'children' field, and not as output from the SFInt
'level_changed' field.

A possible fix is to only do the aliasing if we know the original
encoding of the LOD node was vrml. This fix may be ok if the LOD node
is the only node which could have this conflict stemming from renaming
a vrml field ('level' to 'children') and at the same time introducing
a new x3d field ('level_changed') with the old vrml name of the
renamed field.

So my question is if there may be other nodes with fields which were
affected by renaming from vrml to x3d in such a way ?

If there are a few others it may be worth looking for a solution which
does not need special treatment of certain nodes.

-Andreas

--
Andreas Plesch
Waltham, MA 02453