[x3d-public] CodePen - Front End Developer Playground & Code

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 07:14:02 PDT 2018

Hi Don,

I believe I used pens for quick, throw-away tests.
https://codepen.io/search/pens?q=x3dom&page=1&order=popularity&depth=everything&show_forks=false
finds some good examples.

There quite a few such easy to use playgrounds. jsfiddle.com is one of
first ones, somehow I like it better. glitch.com is very powerful
since you can do both front-end and node.js back-end. It even has a
real linux console. One could use vim or emacs if there is a strong
desire.

For KISS and permanence, simply using the github online editor and
rawgit.com (necessary for proper mime type serving) is often a good
choice, too. You can refer to specific commits, so it has full
history:
https://rawgit.com/andreasplesch/x3dom/b88533df3ac8edd0f7a964e7d3e8b069881653cd/test/functional/inline-gltf.html

What I tend to do now is to actually use Chrome developer tools
directly. It now lets you edit both html and js of any page with a
pretty good editor (in the sources panel), and save the edited content
as overrides in a local directory (setup in overrides). Often, the
edits can be applied immediately after saving to file (ctrl-s). It is
always possible to reload the page from scratch using the overrides
instead of the originals (automatic if there are overrides). For
sharing and development, copy and paste the edited files to github or
somewhere.

A new, powerful but not beginner friendly playground/online notebook
is observablehq.com. Here are x3dom examples:
https://beta.observablehq.com/@andreasplesch/reactive-x3dom
https://beta.observablehq.com/@andreasplesch/sea-level-past-present-and-future

I am sure there is more,

-Andreas