[x3d-public] good example for ECMAScripting and Protos?

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 05:53:18 PDT 2018

On Sat, Aug 4, 2018 at 4:56 AM John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a problem with this file in X3DOM, because as far as I can tell, the SFNode fields (the node, not the field) do not have getFieldValue for point etc. as a function, for example (but one can double check me).  In other words, I don’t think this node is an X3DOM node.

I think you are referring to X3DOM's dom element method getFieldValue
and that it does not work for SFNode type fields. For example:

shapeDomNode.getFieldValue('Appearance')

does not return anything.

I do not think this will be fixed soon.

You can try this instead

shapeDomNode._x3domNode._cf.appearance

with something like

dom._x3domNode._cf[field.toLowerCase]

which gives you an x3domNode object.

> Thus I cannot take a reasonable length in the script.  One would have to parse the string.
>

> That’s as clear as I can get.  I think this might be because x3dom does not process scripts correctly. We would need a script tag handler, and a field handler inside that.
>

> Can you help Andreas?  I’ve created a script tag before, but that code is lost. It might be in my GitHub repository somewhere, not sure.
>

> We just need a script tag that has fields, but doesn’t execute its CDATA section.  I am pretty sure

If you add a type='text/x3dscript' (or anything) attribute, the
browser will not try to execute the script.

> How is V4.0 handling this?
>

> Alternatively, I can change my nodeUtil code to look at the type and do the right thing converting a string to the correct type.   Suggestions are welcome.
>

> Thanks for the great example, Vince,
>

> Should I adapt my code to deal with this failing in X3DOM, or should we change X3DOM?

What needs to be changed in x3dom ? The getFieldValue method ?

-Andreas

> John
>

> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Andreas Plesch