[x3d-public] X3D Working Group meeting minutes, 24 August 2018: https on Web3D.org, SIGGRAPH 2018 review, spec diagram, ECMAScript spec planning

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Aug 24 10:11:11 PDT 2018

Attendees: Anita Havele, Vince Marchetti, Nicholas Polys, Dick Puk, Don Brutzman

We continued our many efforts today on X3D Working Group weekly teleconference, Friday 24 August 2018, 0800-0930 pacific time.  Members and invited guests welcome.

     Web3D Teleconference Information
     http://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

Agenda and minutes follow.

===================================

0. Review of prior meeting minutes.

     [x3d-public] X3D Working Group meeting minutes, 17 August 2018: ISO specifications planning,
     Khronos glTF, SIGGRAPH, Web3D Conferences, regexes, proto expander
     http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2018-August/009349.html

We reviewed and approved these minutes.

===================================

skipping ahead:
7. Upgrading Web3D.org website to https support.

Was glad to learn that good progress has occurred.  More work to follow.  Currently known status at

     [communications] What Chrome Means by ‘Not Secure’ -https support on web3D.org
     http://www.web3d.org/mailman/private/communications_web3d.org/2018-August/000664.html

We're attempting to use https:// links, many are working but not all are ready yet.

Currently httsp:// works in many cases, but our valid LetsEncrypt certificate expired 3 August.  More work required.

We'll continue to look at this issue weekly.

Once we have gotten all the way to https:// support working for example scenes,

	X3D Resources, Examples: Scene Archives for X3D
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#Examples

... then we can pursue proper practices with X3D for use with HTML5 on the following:

	Cross Origin Resource Sharing (CORS)
	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-origin_resource_sharing

===================================

1. Design Printing Scanning Working Group meeting reschedule plans.

We will try for a special meeting next Tuesday, 08-0900 pacific.  Goal is to produce three draft-specification definitions for
- 3D visualization,
-  3D modelling, and
-  3D image

More is found on the working group mailing list and home page.

	http://web3d.org/mailman/private/cad_web3d.org/2018-August/000998.html

	http://www.web3d.org/working-groups/computer-aided-design-cad

Also now on Web3D Calendar for August 28

	http://www.web3d.org/calendar/month/2018-08

===================================

2. SIGGRAPH 2018 review (Polys, Havele, Puk, Brutzman).

     http://www.web3d.org/news-story/x3d-provides-backbone-new-dimensions-3d-graphics

     http://www.web3d.org/event/siggraph-2018

Anita reports that this was the best SIGGRAPH yet, not having to supervise a booth was great.

WebVR was a misnomer in the session title, "WebVR Evolution for a Larger Web".  We are not WebVR.

Anita reports the session summary is

	"Upcoming X3D Specification improvements add full Web integration, Physically Based Rendering, and VR/AR/Mixed Reality. What other capabilities does the SIGGRAPH community need for 3D publishing on the Web?"

Slides at

	http://www.web3d.org/session/webvr-evolution-larger-web

Slidesets include
* GearVR and Web3D - Mitch Williams.pdf
* Web3D-X3D-SIGGRAPH 2018_xR_Futures.pdf
* X3DOM_-_SIGGRAPH_2018_X3DOM.pdf

Dick reports that Fraunhofer is working on their browser technology again, glTF and Instant Reality.  There are updates on github, a public release is expected soon.

We will schedule follow-up sessions on glTF, physically based rendering, and corresponding lighting model updates for X3Dv4.  Probably next week.

Medical BOF attendance was also excellent: "Scaling Up 3D Medical Applications for People Everywhere."  Summary slidesets:

* SIGGRAPH2018_Web3D_Medical_BOF.pdf
* 3dMD_Siggraph_2018_BoF.pdf
* HL7&Web3D_New_Directions.pdf  presented by Ed Hammond

Several follow-up actions are foreseen.

a. We are hoping that Medical Working Group meetings will resume again in the near future.  Likely time is Tuesdays 08-0900, alternating weeks with Board of Directors (BoD) call.

	http://www.web3d.org/working-groups/medical

b. There is a plenary HL7 meeting in near future, Nicholas Polys will be presenting.

TODO

c.  America Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) meeting San Francisco 23-29 March 2019

d.  There was also an interesting SIGGRAPH session on Medical

	https://s2018.siggraph.org/press/news-releases/siggraph-2018-emerging-technologies-focus-health-home-studio-projects-merge-collaboration-interactivity

===================================

3. X3D Specification Relationships diagram update.

     [x3d-public] X3D Working Group meeting minutes, 17 August 2018: Specification Relationships diagram
     http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2018-August/009356.html

     http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dSpecificationRelationships.png

Some refinements applied.  More refactoring seems appropriate, still need to address:

- glTF influences X3D v4.0
- X3D v4.1 derives from 4.1

===================================

4. X3D Specification planning:  ISO deadlines review, priorities, participants and sequencing of efforts.

     Web3D Recommended Standards
     http://www.web3d.org/standards

     X3D version 4
     http://www.web3d.org/x3d4

     X3D Version 4.0 Development
     http://www.web3d.org/wiki/index.php/X3D_version_4.0_Development

... updated to include PointSet and associated Normals

a. ECMAScript revision deadline is in 6 months.

- 19777-1 is not yet in GitHub but will go in soon, Dick has just added

	https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/X3D/tree/master/ISO-IEC%2019777/ISO-IEC%2019777-1/ISO-IEC%2019777-1%20V3.3

	CD directory is committee draft, already complete
	DIS Prep directory is active, "Comment Processing" is where Disposition of Comments and other review materials are found

- Current version is
	CD, 2014-09-05
	http://www.web3d.org/content/ecmascript-language-binding-v33
	http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19777-1/V3.3/index.html

- Likely requires Board permission, Nicholas has forwarded the Web3D Specification Process document that tracks milestones.

	https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Hy6b0kK-th0OEcyxy1taoXqv4liP7YHXjik3Jzhu9rI/edit?usp=sharing

- Not finding an annex to get autogenerated (Java has Annex B Abstract node and Annex C Concrete node interfaces).
   Do we need that?

- Designated ISO editors are Puk and Brutzman.  We need another ECMAScript expert, replacing Roy Walmsley.

- Any volunteers? This is a very serious benefit of membership!  The next edition of 3.3 is the basis for 4.0 update including HTML5/DOM support.

- Another open technical question is whether the SAI 19777 itself is sufficiently updated for standalone applications.  It was approved in 2015 at version 3.3.  More scrutiny needed, hopefully OK, TBD.

- Estimated time duration is 2-3 months.  This specification appears to be our first priority.

- We'll probably schedule another ECMAScript review again in 2 weeks.

b. Dick and Don will strive to establish weekly routine on both Mantis comment review, and "current spec" editor review.

c. We will look at sequencing other specifications in next meeting.

===================================

5. Addition of LocalFog design discussion as a Mantis issue (from 27 July minutes)

     [x3d-public] X3D Working Group meeting minutes, 27 July 2018: ISO, SIGGRAPH, Python, LocalFog, regexes
     http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2018-July/009230.html

Problem:  not clear if LocalFog means locally scoped in scene graph, or located at some z-y-z volume in 3D space, or both.

Discussion on email continues.  Will add Mantis issue to track ongoing progress.

===================================

6. X3D Regex work is ongoing.  Bounding box regex accomplished, unit tests updated, SFImage is next.

     X3D Regular Expressions (regexes)
     http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dRegularExpressions.html

     X3D Resources: Quality Assurance (QA)
     http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#QualityAssurance

     X3D Resources: Security
     http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#Security

Once we get through all the data types, we can set a further challenge of regexes that look for problems in content.  Perhaps even look for security issues.

Longer-term is that X3D scenes are becoming more and more reliable.  This is likely to become a significant benefit of X3D content.  We will think further about that larger messaging.

===================================

8. TODO: ProtoExpander, Projective Texture Mapping component, Python binding examples using PyJnius and X3DJSAIL.

===================================

9.  All other business, future meeting planning.

- Communications Team call is now Wednesday.
- Special meeting next Tuesday for Design Printing Scanning

Next week:
- more siggraph events review
- more spec planning
- possibly glTF, tech topic TBD

Thanks everyone for another excellent meeting.

All feedback and contributions are welcome. Have fun with X3D!  8)