[x3d-public] X3D meeting minutes, Friday 30 AUG 2018

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Aug 31 09:56:20 PDT 2018

Once again, lots of good things happening!  It is always excellent when we meet and continue the dialog.

Attendees Anita Havele, Vince Marchetti, Dick Puk and Don Brutzman.

0800-0930 pacific time.  Members and invited guests welcome.

     Web3D Teleconference Information
     http://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

0. Review of prior meeting minutes.

     http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2018-August/009362.html
     and subsequent responses...

Approved without change.

1. X3D Specification Relationships diagram update.

Nontrivial refactoring proposed for X3D v4, all feedback and discussion welcome.

     [x3d-public] X3D Working Group meeting minutes, 24 August 2018: improved specification relationships diagram
     http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2018-August/009366.html

     http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dSpecificationRelationships.draft.png

Comments and improvements:
a. As reviews continue, we don't foresee any major changes/corrigenda to existing v3.3 file encodings and language bindings.
b. We do foresee updating all of the file encodings and language bindings following X3D v4.0 and v4.1.
c. Better references to medical metadata/content and highlighting relationships with DICOM, HL7.
d. Discussed possible inclusion of joint collaboration work with SC4 on STEP/CAD visualization for top row... maybe someday.
e.ISO/IEC NP TR 24772-4 "Guidance to Avoid Vulnerabilities in Programming Languages - Part 4, Python" may help us someday
f. JavaScript is revving fast (v9 now), we will stick with ISO/IEC 22275 ECMAScript and JSON rather than ECMA.
g. Java is revving every 6 months (now at v10, we are testing v8) with 6-month revision cycle.  No ISO activity on Java noted.
h. Note that EXI efficiencies for compaction and performance can also be applied to JSON.  Recently approved as W3C Working Group Note:

	EXI for JSON (EXI4JSON)
	Daniel Peintner, Siemens AG and Don Brutzman, Web3D Consortium
	https://www.w3.org/TR/exi-for-json

Updated X3D Specification Relationships diagram attached, will continue to refresh url above as needed.  No outstanding deficiencies noted.

Looks like we are going in the right direction, and getting "real close now"... Comments welcome, we will review again during next call.  Once this round of review is finished, we will publish and announce.

2. Updates posted that essentially complete X3D regexes for all basic types, adding SFImage/MFImage and the Matrix types.  The regex101 online unit tests all pass. Some further X3DJSAIL unit testing in progress, but it looks like the regexes are working and integrated X3DUOM.  Getting all of these fully vetted will be another major step forward for X3D Quality Assurance (QA).

     X3D Regular Expressions (regexes)
     http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dRegularExpressions.html

     X3D n-Tuple Regular Expression (regex) Patterns
     http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dRegularExpressions.png

3. Close scrutiny of X3D ECMAScript (JavaScript) language binding draft revealed a number of problems this week.  Efforts continue by Dick and Don as ISO editors.  Feedback from X3D browser and player implementers welcome on working group (member only) mailing list.

     [x3d] x3d ecmascript 19977-1 spec review; problems found
     http://web3d.org/mailman/private/x3d_web3d.org/2018-August/007194.html
     http://web3d.org/mailman/private/x3d_web3d.org/2018-August/007196.html

Standardization status of ECMAScript (JavaScript) itself is curious.  A few useful references follow.

	Standard ECMA-262, ECMAScript® 2018 Language Specification
	https://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-262.htm

	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECMAScript
	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECMAScript#9th_Edition_-_ECMAScript_2018

	https://medium.freecodecamp.org/whats-the-difference-between-javascript-and-ecmascript-cba48c73a2b5

ISO/IEC Standard 22275:2018 formalizes the ECMAScript standard.  We have requested a Web3D Consortium copy of ISO/IEC Standard 22275:2018 from our ISO convener.  This supercedes prior specification ISO/IEC 16262:2011.  The new specification is available for 38CHF (Swiss Francs) at

	ISO/IEC 22275:2018
	Information technology -- Programming languages, their environments, and system software interfaces -- ECMAScript® Specification Suite
	https://www.iso.org/standard/73002.html

Incidentally improved regex support is listed as one of the advancements in JavaScript 9.

4. Further discussion.

a. We definitely need work on the table mapping specification status to Web3D process.

	ISO and Web3D Specification Process Timeline
	https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Hy6b0kK-th0OEcyxy1taoXqv4liP7YHXjik3Jzhu9rI

	Web3d Recommended Standards
	http://www.web3d.org/standards

	Web3D Consortium Standards Strategy
	http://www.web3d.org/strategy

b. Execution planning for X3D Specification development, continued...
-  Following 19777 editing work, we will likely see C# ballot results in near future and C/C++ to follow.
- Java language binding 19777-2 is next in line on ISO calendar, draft changes are summarized in X3DJSAIL.
- Efficient Binary Encoding 19777-4 is technically mature, so work remains ready to go when time permits.
- Critical next step for X3D v4 is Clause 4 Concepts revisions to support HTML5/DOM.
- Our next priorities are clearly all the components and technologies on X3D v4
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d4
	http://www.web3d.org/wiki/index.php/X3D_version_4.0_Development

c. Suggested approach:
- Keep growing our "critical mass" of people in X3D working group,
- 2-track approach to specification sustainment and X3D v4 development.
- Roadmap and milestones are well defined but schedules are hard to predict.
- Help wanted!  Does this mean you?

5. TODO: Projective Texture Mapping (PTM) component.

... maybe next week if time permits proper preparation.

6. TODO: enter Mantis issue documenting dialog/threads regarding LocalFog, including Michalis' excellent analysis.  This node still has important clarity and functionality gaps that prevent greater utility.  I suspect there is a potential future improvement for X3D v4.

7. Update releases, after a hiatus:

     X3D-Edit 3.3 open-source Extensible 3D (X3D) Graphics authoring tool
     https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit

including refresh to

     NPS branch of Xj3D
     https://savage.nps.edu/Savage/developers.html#Xj3D

X3D-Edit supports X3D v4.0 files... at least correctly validating the header.  Upcoming work will add the new HAnim nodes, then PTM.

8. All other topics welcome.

Vince expects dialog to resume on OrthoViewpoint issues by Design Printing Scanning Working Group, hopefully resolvable in near future with some clearly identified potential improvements for X3D v4.

	Clarify ambiguous functional specification for OrthoViewpoint
	http://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1238

Web3D Calendar is up to date.  Hoping that Medical Working Group will soon resume efforts.  Happy Labor Day next Monday!

	http://www.web3d.org/calendar/month/2018-09

Dick and Don will continue next Thursday on 19777-1 on X3D ECMAScript Language Binding, applying editorial errata in github specification and documenting Disposition of Comments.

Next meeting:
- more siggraph events review
- possibly glTF, tech topics planning schedule TBD.

Steady progress in each considered topic today, there is definitely room in the X3D Working Group for accelerating progress.

What are you interested in?  If you want to change something, or add something tangible to the specifications, then please Join as a member.

	Join the Web3D Consortium
	http://www.web3d.org/join

Have fun with X3D! No Really!   8)