[x3d-public] X3D Semantic Web discussion minutes, 13 DEC 2018

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Dec 13 10:16:36 PST 2018

We had a call to discuss the draft X3D Semantic Web working group preparations.  Many things are coming together for the new year.  8)

1. Attendees: Jakub Flotynski, Athanasios Malamos, Don Brutzman.  Planned followup with Leslie Sikos.

2. Status: our draft charter and draft working group page have been submitted to Web3D Board of Directors for review.  We hope to get responses (and hopefully guidance for approval) in early January 2019.

3. Website. We reviewed details on these draft pages.

* X3D Semantic Web Working Group
         http://www.web3d.org/x3d-semantic-web-working-group

* X3D Semantic Web Working Group Charter
         http://www.web3d.org/x3d-semantic-web-working-group-charter

Please note that if any web3d url has the term "members" in it, that means you must login using your Web3D Consortium member account.  Otherwise no, the url is public (like the pages above).

Now added to the draft charter as a request for when the work is approved.

5. Jakub has prepared a very interesting site with a huge number of references.

	http://semantic3d.org
	http://semantic3d.org/publications

We considered how to best start collecting and saving references and presentations of interest.  Poznan University will continue to build additional references for their project, and also how the working group shares knowledge.  Web3D has excellent infrastructure which we can use, but it also always good to build on successful approaches.  So, how to best proceed?

Everyone please think about this point.  We will discuss further next week.  To be fully effective, I expect we will need someone in the working group who accepts the responsibility for curating these important assets.

6. To get the discussion started, Thanos will present some of his X3D semantics work next week with a focus on project achievements, lessons learned, and what semantic aspects seem to be missing from X3D.

We will also spend some time to consider
- how to archive and share the many reference materials that are expected,
- tentative schedule of upcoming presentations in 2019

7. Next year, once approved, we will prepare an announcement about the working group that includes information about each of our projects.

8. Next meeting: we plan to meet together at the same time next week, Thursday 20 DEC 2018, 09-1000 pacific (18-19 Poland, 19-20 Greece).

http://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information
Web3D Teleconference Information

The Web3D Consortium maintains a teleconference line for use by members and invited guests. The line is toll-free in the U.S. There is a direct number from outside the U.S. Each line is also reachable through Skype.

The Web3D teleconference line is reserved for working-group meetings posted on the Calendar. During unreserved times, it is available on first-come first-serve basis.

Direct telephone dial
       +1.877.929-9843 (US toll-free)
       +1.210.301.4738 (outside US, tolls may apply)
       At the prompt enter the passcode: (provided on request, also on members page linked above)
       Say your name, then press '#' key again

Skype
       Skype is a commonly used voice-over-IP (VOIP) and video service.
       Skype callers have reported good success connecting to the Web3D teleconference line.
       Skype does not charge for toll-free calls.

If you experience any problems, please contact the Webmaster.

Having fun semantically with X3D!  8)