[x3d-public] navigation state modification

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 21:14:49 PST 2018

Currently, position/orientation of an avatar can be queried by
Proximitysensor and can be modified by a pointing device like a mouse or a
finger. However, as far as I can tell it cannot be modified
programmatically, in a script. The difference to a Viewpoint is that an
avatar has additional offset gained by navigation relative to the bound
Viewpoint. A Viewpoint can be modified but the avatar's offset is only
affected by interactivity and cannot be scripted.

Is this correct and if so what is the rationale for not providing SAI
access to modify navigation ?

The reason why I am asking is this x3dom issue:
https://github.com/x3dom/x3dom/issues/912

The challenge is to sync examine mode views in two scenes where one only
allows orbiting, and where the Viewpoint itself should be preserved to
provide a safe home view. The best solution involved accessing x3dom
internals to directly control the navigation offset which is not
satisfactory.

How would a SAI solution to such a challenge look like ?

Happy holidays, Andreas

---on the phone---