[x3d-public] Proposed new Profile

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 09:05:47 PST 2018

I also think such a profile could be very useful and successful.

Collada is another commonly used format which may be worth mentioning.

view3dscene can import collada and, I believe .obj format, and export
static, conforming, x3d pretty well. I just converted some of the source
models used for glTF testing to x3d this way:

https://github.com/andreasplesch/Library/tree/master/glTFSourceModels

Cheers, Andreas

> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 08:43:44 -0800
> From: Leonard Daly <Leonard.Daly at realism.com>
> To: X3D Public <x3d-public at web3d.org>
> Subject: [x3d-public] Proposed new Profile
>
> The existing X3D profiles were designed for run-time environments. Since
> those original definitions, the marketplace has changed. There is need
> of an open, standardized formats for models that supports conversion to
> and from existing formats such as FBX, OBJ, glTF, and others. There are
> some tools that do that conversion, but tend to be expensive or limited
> in capability. To address this hole in the 3D eco-system, I am proposing
> new profiles to handle the archive storage for models. The first
> proposal is for static models. These are models without articulation,
> joints, sliders, etc. The profile supports the way models are built in
> the industrial/professional world of games, entertainment, CAD, and
> medical -- at least to the best of my understanding.
>
> The collection of nodes handles output functionality from Maya and
> Blender plus other tools. It includes some advanced structures such as
> NURBS, CAD, and Volume; and does not include simple structures as simple
> geometry (Box, Sphere, etc.). I looked at what the tools output and
> could not find instances where simple structures were exported. This
> allows important features of the model (e.g., a NURBS surface) to exist
> and triangulation to happen later in the process.
>
> The details are at
> http://realism.com/blog/proposed-x3d-profile-static-model. The post
> includes a list of included nodes sorted by their profile.
>
> --
> *Leonard Daly*
> 3D Systems & Cloud Consultant
> LA ACM SIGGRAPH Past Chair
> President, Daly Realism - /Creating the Future/
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

> End of x3d-public Digest, Vol 106, Issue 58

Andreas Plesch
Waltham, MA 02453