[x3d-public] Model Profile: Lights or Not

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Wed Jan 31 15:43:47 PST 2018

Roy,

I understand your questions and the underlying issue. I think the
fundamental problem is overloading of the word "lights". When someone
who is working in 3D says lights, it means lighting sources that
illuminate some portion (maybe the entire) scene. That "light"
contributes to the lighting equation that must be calculated for the scene.

Physical lights that server to identify boundaries, borders, extensions
(such as running lights, beacons, marker lights, etc.) are created as
different geometry with an emissive color appropriate to their use. In
portions of the scene that is always lit by scene 3d-lighting, the
texture applied to the entire geometry may have physical-light effects
burnt-into the texture. For example, if I were modeling a truck with
running lights, I would use geometry with an emmisive colour because it
is likely that the truck may be used in a very dark environment. If I
were modeling a building with external splash lighting, I would probably
burn that into the texture of the building side.

I think we need to be very careful about the meaning of the term
"light". Since we are working in the 3D space, I suggest that it only
mean lighting sources within the 3D environment that contributes to the
lighting equations anywhere in the scene.

Leonard Daly