[x3d-public] Volumetric rendering through 3D Printing

Frédéric Vogt frederic.vogt at alumni.anu.edu.au
Tue Jul 3 14:21:09 PDT 2018

Hi Vince,

Thanks for the link. It’s a rather interesting approach, in the sense that it allows for free-floating structures. Of course, it comes at the cost of having it all embedded inside a uniform block of material. I wonder how much the loss of “tactile 3D sensing” affects the way we “see” the data in that way … But evidently a nice approach for all those structures that would otherwise fall apart without the extra support!

To me, the question of the underlying data format still remains a key aspect of this voxel printing approach. I’m experimenting with room-scale VR these days, and am also encountering some interesting file-format “hurdles”. I’m specifically trying to bring X3D models into Unity, but I keep having to revert to OBJ. Work on that front is only starting, though … hopefully I’ll have more results to share on this list in the coming months.

Cheers,
Frédéric