[x3d-public] ++Xanadu, ++CosmoCode, ++XMLTerm, ++Tcl/Tk

GPU Group gpugroup at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 05:36:42 PDT 2018

ParallelGraphics Cortona browser allowed you to define protos using MS
ActiveX plugins - which are native code and have access to the operating
system, disk, network etc.
In an era of security and sandboxing, that sort of raw, unsupervised access
is not normally desired/permitted.

However maybe we've gone too far, or are missing supervisory mechanisms.
Early this year when looking at ways to Paste text into a VR browser /
scene, and looking at symmetry -how to get a string out- it seemed like we
were missing the idea of a SINK node.

Perhaps we need a general a way to declare edge sources and sinks in-scene,
and outside the VR sandbox hook onto them.
For example ProtoDeclares have fields. But Scenes do not. If we added
fields to Scenes, they could act as gateways to/from the VR sandbox. And
then on the outside, you would hook onto them 'somehow'.
And/or have named source and sink nodes anywhere with the same purpose.
On the outside once you have  a way to hook on, then you could do whatever
you want in native code, Hopefully with some visibility to the connections
and supervisory permission control.

-Doug