[x3d-public] X3D meeting minutes 20 July: near/far clipping, Python SAI, medical, ISO, SIGGRAPH

GPU Group gpugroup at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 11:36:12 PDT 2018

WEB3D.ORG SPEC COMMENT RULES APPLY, PUBLIC CHECKBOX CHECKED >>>
near / far clipping planes > geo tearing >
in freewrl I detect geo range automatically and iterate over up to 3 depth
slices
default: .1 21000
geo - 3 slice:
.1 10000
9999 - 10,000,000
9,999,999 10,000,000,000
or something like that.
By iterate I mean there's a loop, from 1 to n slices.
Before that loop I clear screen
And on each depth slice I clear depth buffer, and re-draw the whole scene
with a different depth slice / range
- working from far slice to near slice
So drawing can be slower by up to 3 times(although not quite - routing/node
compiling done once per frame). But no tearing from lack of depth buffer
depth. (might have tearing from float coordinate precision issues).
Its debatable - others say if you're careful one 24bit depth buffer should
be sufficient. Myself - I'm too impatient to try tuning or on-the-fly
direction-based range adjustments as the avatar is moving.
-Doug
<< WEB3D SPEC COMMENT RULES APPLY