[x3d-public] X3D working group meeting: SFTime; Mantis 1103 addition to address durations

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Mon Jul 23 21:43:53 PDT 2018

In retrospect, am thinking we should improve the specification definition for SFTime in the specification because "since" does not imply past time.

====================================
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/since

Adverb: since (not comparable)

     From a specified time in the past.

Preposition: since

     From: referring to a period of time ending in the present and defining it by the point in time at which it started, or the period in which its starting point occurred.
	1. Continuously during that period of time.
	2. At certain points during that period of time.

Specification definition appears below.  We could keep that these two paragraphs as written.  Section 5.3.15 SFTime and MFTime should note that

	"When an SFTime value represents a time-interval duration, negative values are not allowed."

and also include reference:

	"See _8.2.2 Time origin_ for further details."

Potential addition to specification appended to existing Mantis issue 1103.

	5.3.15 SFTime and MFTime - Describe two usages
	http://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1103