[x3d-public] SFImage regex

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Jun 7 23:26:24 PDT 2018

Lots of great questions.  Apologies for not answering as best possible, am traveling.

a. Haven't included leading or trailing whitespace since examples all get canonicalized first.

Also the X3D XML Schema constructs all include <xs:whiteSpace value="collapse"/> for validation

b. We should also try to come up with a subpattern that handles one-and-only-one comma amidst other optional whitespace, avoiding catastrophic backtracking.  The X3D and VRML encodings say to treat them as whitespace.  The XML schema honors that but carefully - not allowing excess commas to go unnoticed since historically is the only indicator that a long line of values has gotten corrupted.

c. the differences of regex syntax among various languages are relatively minor and explained at length in lots of documentation... we should be able to avoid idiosyncrasies without too much trouble (i think that is the case already).

d. looked online and found plausible exemplars om stackoverflow; have added regex patterns for SF/MFBool, SFInt32, SFFloat/Double/Time.  comments in x3d v4 schema show links.

e. have copied over from XML Schema and added regex patterns to X3DUOM for each field type.  example:

<FieldType type="SFImage"
	regex="[ \t]*(([0-9]|[1-9][0-9]+)([ ]+|$)){3}(([0-9]|([1-9][0-9]+)|(0x([0-9]|[a-f]|[A-F])+))([ ]+|$))*">
    <InterfaceDefinition specificationUrl="http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/fieldsDef.html#SFImageAndMFImage"
	appinfo="The SFImage field specifies a single uncompressed 2-dimensional pixel image. SFImage fields contain three integers representing the width, height and number of components in the image, followed by (width x height) hexadecimal or integer values representing the pixels in the image."/>
</FieldType>

f. X3DJSAIL support: have used this X3DUOM information further and added regex values and regex testing to field type objects.  this should facilitate experimentation and everyday usage even further.

http://www.web3d.org/specifications/java/X3DJSAIL.html#regex

"Regular expression (regex) support in field types, for example SFVec3fObject REGEX string, pattern, matches() and matches(String value)."

http://www.web3d.org/specifications/java/javadoc/org/web3d/x3d/jsail/fields/SFVec3fObject.html#REGEX
http://www.web3d.org/specifications/java/javadoc/org/web3d/x3d/jsail/fields/SFVec3fObject.html#pattern
http://www.web3d.org/specifications/java/javadoc/org/web3d/x3d/jsail/fields/SFVec3fObject.html#matches--
http://www.web3d.org/specifications/java/javadoc/org/web3d/x3d/jsail/fields/SFVec3fObject.html#matches-java.lang.String-

Tested in HelloWorldProgram.java satisfactorily:

<!-- SFVec3f default=0 0 0, initial=1 2 3, setValue=4 5 6, multiply(2)=8 10 12, normalize()=0.45584232 0.5698029 0.68376344, regex matches()=true -->
<!-- regex SFVec3f().matches("1 2 3")=true, regex SFVec3f().matches("1 2 3 4")=false -->

Having fun with X3D Regexes!

http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dRegularExpressions.html