[x3d-public] Castle Game Engine movies showing cool things in X3D - easy mirrors, 2D game

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 01:55:16 PDT 2018

+Hi,

1. This week I implemented small X3D extensions in Castle Game Engine
to easily use RenderedTexture as a real-time mirror. This works nicely
to simulate a mirror on a flat surface in 3D.

    You may enjoy movies showing how they work:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq0qZxiK_mM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqBIyw_I4t4

    Some initial description is on
https://castle-engine.io/wp/2018/06/16/easy-mirrors-on-flat-surfaces-more-progress/
. The simple demo in X3D is on
https://github.com/castle-engine/demo-models/blob/master/rendered_texture/viewpoint_mirror.x3dv
.

    This method somewhat complements the existing method to get
mirrors on curved surfaces using GeneratedCubeMapTexture (
https://castle-engine.io/x3d_implementation_cubemaptexturing.php ).
Depending on whether your object is curved (like a sphere) or flat
(like a plane), either GeneratedCubeMapTexture or the new
RenderedTexture+ViewpointMirror work best.

2. A few days ago we have released a new trailer for our game "The
Unholy Society":

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bK1mLFRLJY

    All the game graphics is designed using Spine, loaded to Castle
Game Engine as X3D scene graph (Castle Game Engine internally converts
Spine animations -> X3D interpolators). So, everything you see in this
video is really X3D, rendered using Castle Game Engine.

    The game will be released on Steam, for Windows, Linux, macOS
soon. More information on
https://castle-engine.io/wp/2018/06/13/new-trailer-of-the-unholy-society/ .

Regards,
Michalis