[x3d-public] HAnim only skeleton renderable ?

Joseph D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 19 15:31:46 PDT 2018

➢ In character animation the skeleton created during the rigging process
is never rendered. It is a collection of points in space that the skin
is anchored to. During development and animation, the skeleton may be
rendered by the animation and/or rigging tool; but geometry is never
created for it. Of course an author may choose to create a mesh for the
skeleton, in which case it would be rendered as regular geometry.

This is such a superficial and limited and even wrong response that the  author should be requested to finally  have a knowledgeable conversation about it.
If you told the above to anyone with practical experience in generating skeletal-skin based animations, you would be ignored, or at least considered as a bare novice without an understanding of a ’rigging’ and binding and combinations of techniques to animate blocks of geometries  and’ skin surface features vertex by vertex. Further, they have not looked into or understood transport products like gltf get and use the animate a skeleton, other geometries, and the entire character, Finally, this person has never taken the steps to explore how the x3d hanim character captures the important, basic features of the classic realistic skeleton-based humanoid at several levels of detail using all standard x3d features (indeed, except for the ‘skin’ action, but the skin is currently widely implenmnted).

Hey, if it was easy, anyone could do it. Well, it is that easy when you actually consider that if you want to experiment with x3d hanim you really don’ necessarily have to use the ‘medical’ names. A  simple proof of x3d hanim is that when you select biped in mast anly tool, you get an x3d hanim loa3, or very close. If the tool Is treating vrml and x3d right, then you should ba able to start with biped, create geometries for sin, segments, sites, whatever then animate the thing and export to x3d. Note that last I saw the free bitmanagement studio and contact work fine in  x3d hanim and are free and naturally should be used when evaluating other hanim tools.

Thanks and Best,
Joe

this is quite helpful although I got the impression that in HAnim skeleton is contrasting segments and joints and represents the physical body to be rendered.

But you are correct that there should be answer that does not require assumptions. Perhaps it is productive to focus on the prototype implementation and understand that better first.

Andreas