[x3d-public] HAnim only skeleton renderable ?

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 05:15:23 PDT 2018

Hi Joe,

ok. Most of the HAnim scenes in the web3d examples archive probably
populate these fields with USE references. My vague sense is that they do
that only out of a perception that this is required or recommended, not for
a functional purpose, but I did not go through those in detail.

I will see if and how it is possible to special case the nodes in these
fields in x3dom, perhaps by removing them from the list of drawable objects.

On a spec. tangent,  19774-2/V2.0 Annex B, here

http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19774-2/V2.0/MotionDataAnimation/ExampleKeyframeAnimation.html

and  19774-1/V2.0 Annex F

http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19774-1/V2.0/HAnim/Design.html

define a containerField='skeleton' for the example Humanoid whose parent is
the Scene. This is probably an editing oversight.

-Andreas

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 6:52 PM Joseph D Williams <joedwil at earthlink.net>
wrote:

>    - So my question is if only the nodes in the skeleton field should be
>
> rendered while the USE references in the joints and segments fields
>
> should not be rendered and are provided exclusively for other purposes
>
> (like kinematics) ? I could not quite answer that question from the
>
> standard language.
>

> Forget these fields they are leftovers from when the skeleton was not
> included in the user code and the fields just defined which of the skeleton
> parts in the ‘standard’ model that was not even accessible to the actual
> user, these fields were all he got to author, and some animation.
>
> Anyway, unless somebody can clearly show the need for these, then should
> be dumped, and never treated as required. When it became feasible to permit
> the skeleton into the actual user code, these fields became excess but for
> some reason nobody will delete them.
>

> Thanks again,
>
> Joe

Andreas Plesch