[x3d-public] Humanoid interface description

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Jun 28 20:28:43 PDT 2018

[cc: HAnim list and Dick Puk]

Thanks for your continuing review Andreas.

On 6/28/2018 8:09 PM, Andreas Plesch wrote:
> The Humanoid interface description at
>
> http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19774-1/V2.0/HAnim/ObjectInterfaces.html#Humanoid
>
> includes this paragraph:
>
> 'The jointBindingPositions, jointBindingRotations, and
> jointBindingScales fields specify arrays of positions, rotations, and
> scale values, respectively. These sets of attributes are associated
> with the array of Joint objects contained in the joints field. If only
> one value is provided (such as the default value) then it is applied
> to all listed Joint objects equivalently. Applying each set of these
> translation, rotation, and scale values, in order, to the
> corresponding Joint objects maps a skeleton to the binding pose.'
>
> I believe there is a small grammar oversight in that a doubled plural
> is used in the first sentence, in 'positions/rotations values'.
>
> 'The jointBindingPositions, jointBindingRotations, and
> jointBindingScales fields specify arrays of position, rotation, and
> scale values, respectively.' may read better.

agreed.  not yet applied pending resolution of next issue.

> Perhaps more significantly, the last sentence uses 'translation' in
> place of 'position' since only translations can be applied to an
> existing position. Consequently, it seems the field
> 'jointBindingPositions' perhaps should be termed
> 'jointBindingTranslations'.

Great catch.  Am not aware of any good answer to the question "Why is the field called jointBindingPositions instead of jointBindingTranslations?" and so think we should make the change for reasons of clarity, consistency and correctness.

Dick please review.

Myeong Won Lee, please add "Review of Reported HAnim DIS Specification Issues" and we will present it then.  Or perhaps just resolve this one via email to reduce delay if all are agreed.  TIA.

Mantis 1240, "HAnim specification: misnamed field"
http://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1240