[x3d-public] [x3d] Spec Comment by on 19775-1: Abstract X3D Definitions - V3.3

GPU Group gpugroup at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 06:13:40 PST 2018

  > b. Regarding "no in-scene initialization text could be copied out." Any
default string value might instead be placed in the target of the
StringSensor output. Thus no initial value needed for enteredText/finalText.

Yes. And perhaps there could be a separate inputOutput field somewhere that
can be routed to, and that can copy out.with Drag&Drop, that would be
converted to Vox, or copied and pasted out of the scene, so there's some
copy paste symmetry.
A reason for making it separate from the outputOnly field on StringSensor:
so you can route to it without causing a chain reaction output event that
goes back into your scene nodes that are listening for StringSensor input

> c. An author might want multiple StringSensor nodes, choosing when to
enable/disable each. Simultaneous operation might be desirable. Further an
author can achieve "singleton" status among multiple StringSensor nodes by
ROUTEing each enable field to other StringSensor nodes via a BooleanToggle
node. Thus no new field such as "singleton" needs to be added.

Yes and maybe another way to achieve object-oriented TextBox protos
-without needing to route between them through proto and inline barriers -
is via SAI Browser object: I haven't tried it but can you just add a
"name"= "value" to Browser? its a global object and reachable from within
all protos via SAI.
Browser["stringsensor_singeton"] = this;
Then within the TextBox protobody, can test if another node has ownership
before routing output to textbox.
if( Browser]"stringsensor_singleton"] != this ) skip = true;
.
And maybe some Design Principle names::
1. node conservation - limit number of convenience nodes - cost of web3d
and browser maintenance = f(# of node types)
2. node field compatibility - if adding a field to a node, it should apply
to all profiles, otherwise make a new nodetype
3. object orientation - help protos encapsulate and avoid a mess of routes
4. symmetry - if there's something going one way, scene designers will
expect its complement and be puzzled if not there

-Doug