[x3d-public] Mantis issue 1209: Tesselation of quadrilaterals and n-gons

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 18:09:32 PST 2018

> Attached please find current Mantis issue searching for regular tesselation
> of polygons with 4 or more vertices.
>
> For browser implementers: wondering how you handle polygons with greater
> than 4 points (n-gons), so that all normals are pointing in the same
> direction for planar polygons, or to the same side of the face for nonplanar
> polygons.

view3dscene and Castle Game Engine:

- For convex polygons, they are essentially rendered as triangle fans,
with the same winding order.
- For concave, we use triangulation by ear clipping (I even made a
video of it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMTXqTu4tKc ). Again, we
just make sure the winding order is the same as for initial polygon.

Regards,
Michalis