[x3d-public] X3D Working Group Update

Nicholas Polys npolys at vt.edu
Fri Mar 9 09:15:21 PST 2018

 Greetings Web3D Consortium Members and listerve contributors~!

Please see below for news about the X3D Working Group.

2017 has been a big year for Web3D and the VR/AR/MR industry - we continue
to see new institutions and enterprises becoming stakeholders in Open
Standards and our community process. Our value proposition is strong and
there are great opportunities for our members to adopt, deploy, improve,
and lead X3D and H-ANIM technologies and specification development.

First, I would like to like to recognize our Professional Member, Mr. Roy
Walmsey, who has served as X3D Co-Chair for the last 3 years and recently
announced his retirement from the role of Co-Chair. Roy has brought an
exceptional level of technical skill, organization, and diligence to our
Working Group. As you know, the X3D WG is charged with technical
integration and specification development, including the abstract spec,
encodings, and SAI interfaces and bindings. During Mr. Walmsey's tenure as
X3D Co-Chair, we have made great strides on these many fronts.

For all these successes, we would like to recognize and thank Mr. Walmsey;
we wish him the best in his retirement from the X3D WG Co-Chair.

As we look forward, the Web3D Consortium Board of Directors is working to
bring in one (or more) individuals to fulfill the role of X3D WG Co-Chair.
Please contact myself or Anita Havele, Executive Director, with any
questions or nominations you might have!

The activities of the X3D WG are vital to our success and we welcome all
Members to participate. Please take this opportunity to consider how you
and your organization can be leaders in evolving the next generation of
specifications and Standards. Until the new Co-Chair(s) are named and
confirmed by the incoming 2018 Web3DC Board of Directors, several current
Board Members have volunteered to attend and serve with Dr. Brutzman in the
interim (Vince Marchetti, Nicholas Polys, Mike Russalesi).

Of particular interest this year is the integration of the many lessons of
our implementers and liaisons into the specifications and into to the
ISO-IEC Standards track. The Board is working with WG Chairs and the
Webmaster to improve the channels for Member communication and sharing. For
example, while draft specs are in a Web3D Consortium github, we will create
milestones for periodic release for Member and then public comment. Stay
tuned for more! :-)

Thank you for your continued support and contributions to the Web3D
Consortium and our international community! Join us and take advantage of
these real Member Benefits <http://www.web3d.org/member-benefits>!

with best regards,

 Nicholas F. Polys, PhD
 Web3D Consortium President

PS
Don't forget that Board of Directors nomination cycle is open until March
11 !