[x3d-public] Physically Based Materials (PBR) in X3D

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Mar 16 06:05:13 PDT 2018

Yes Michalis your thoughtful insights are much appreciated.

The essential approach and X3D extensions proposed in the Fraunhofer paper will need to get checked with respect to glTF 2 (and its likely evolution) of course.  Further considerations for X3D Programmable Shaders Component might also emerge.

In the paper, "Figure 2: Pre-calculated environment map, with varying roughness levels stored in different mipmap levels" is pretty interesting.

We may also see some interesting work published at Web3D 2018 Conference in Poznan Poland this summer (June 20-22) also.  Since this topic is so fundamentally important, we should probably plan on organizing a rendering BOF there.

	http://web3d2018.web3d.org

Regarding forward compatibility.  If these changes to the X3D Rendering Component and Lighting component are proposed as an experimental Physically Based Rendering Component in version 4.0, that encourage support for broader experimentation and experience.  Further am thinking we may get further insight regarding video/overlay rendering considerations when we had VR/AR/MAR support in X3D v4.1, so deferring final formalization until then may help avoid unexpected future mismatches when integrating WebVR, background video, 360 video, chroma-key composition, and related capabilities.

Regarding backwards compatibility.  It would be interesting to consider whether, instead of adding new nodes, we might go ahead and completely extend existing Material node and other lighting-related capabilities.  This has potential benefit of keeping the X3D v4 scene graph more closely consistent for X3D v3 and VRML97 content, allowing superior rendering of all content as the default rendering mode in X3D v4.  A backwards-compatibility rendering mode also might be possible for when authors explicitly want it...  But there might be real merit into establishing a higher baseline level of visual quality in X3D v4 that encompasses all Inline content.  Shape information in those scene models all describe geometry and appearance that still remains functionally equivalent if rendered in a superior fashion.

Hope you can continue to expose and distill both insights and alternatives in your page.  Thanks for your many efforts.