[x3d-public] X3DJSONLD ... converts XML to JSON client side!

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 15:30:51 PDT 2018

Leonard wrote:
>You have been working with this for quite some time.
Yes, but not full time, by any means. Spurts!
I am thinking about starting to look at Scripting again.  One of the next things on my list is www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dForAdvancedModeling/Buildings/ArchPrototype.json (x3d) and ArchPrototypeScript.js.   Those have been outstanding issues for a long time.  I’d like to see an X3DOM solution, if someone has it. I’ve seen X_ITE solutions.  If someone has an X3DOM solution, I may be able to adapt it back to X3D V3.3 and get a better cross-web browser solution.  If someone gets a JSON or XML version working with X3DJSONLD, even better, save me the pain!  I do not know if the more readable version of the script, ArchPrototypeScriptMoreReadable.js, is useful or not, first time I’ve seen it.  It may be as simple as including the JS in the JSON file, or including a CDATA section in the XML.  I don’t know.
Any help with my VRMLScript & Route preprocessor to turn into DOM script is appreciated.  Either client side or server side, it doesn’t matter to me. My prototype expander is continuing to slowly improve without the assistance of Scripting (works without prototypes but with scripts in X_ITE, thank goodness—that’s how I know I can do prototypes before scripts of course).  But two steps forward, one step back. Solving all issues practically requires writing an integrated browser, instead of an afterthought.  But it’s probably doable, just difficult.  I like challenges, but know little of the X3D event model.    That appears to be changing with X3D V4.0, so I’m not sure it’s worth learning over HTML script.  But simulating VRMLScript in HTML script is a challenge, and not a bad one.

To see some of the prototypes I currently process, see
http://localhost:3000/src/main/html/index3.html
With a fully configured express server, running as node app.js
Static prototypes are here:
https://coderextreme.net/X3DJSONLD/src/main/html/x3domproto.html
I will start collecting an index4.html page with my dynamic prototype examples, but currently, they are here:
http://localhost:3000/src/main/html/index.html
Apologies as XML X3DOM IDE is currently not available on my X3DJSONLD website, but is available as a local service.  I got bit by something unexpected in X3DOM I think, not sure!
A new feature in X3DJSONLD (long a problem) avoids the WebGL context issue and x_ITE displays blacking out.