[x3d-public] X3D Working Group meeting minutes 28 March 2018: tutorials, HAnim DIS, X3D Profiles, Feedback and Mantis Issue Tracking

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Mar 28 09:54:10 PDT 2018

Attendees: Anita Havele, Vince Marchetti, Dick Puk, Nicholas Polys, Don Brutzman.

0. Preliminaries:

a. BOF proposals have been submitted to SIGGRAPH 2018, we'll find out in coming weeks what has been approved.

b. We noted with pleasure the exceptional tutorials by Nicholas Polys, Johannes Behr, Timo Sturm and Uwe Roessner at IEEE VR 2018.

	IEEE VR 2018 Tutorial, Web3D Quickstart
	http://www.web3d.org/event/ieee-vr-2018

	"Web3D Quickstart" Tutorials from @IEEEVR 2018 Reutlingen Germany are now online!
	Nicholas Polys, Johannes Behr, Timo Sturm and Uwe Woessner provide major assets for learning how to build advanced #X3D applications.
	https://twitter.com/Web3DConsortium/status/978412263206879232

These presentations are potential candidates for tutorial program at Web3D 2018.  We are notifying conference organizers of this possibility.  Stay tuned...

	Web3D 2018
	The 23rd International ACM Conference on 3D Web Technology
	20-22 June 2018, Poznań, Poland
	http://web3d2018.web3d.org

==================================

==================================

> Here is our agenda for next week.
>
> 1. *Humanoid Animation (HAnim) Update*. Quite a lot is happening.  We will briefly summarize.

There is a long list of items needed for finishing the advancement of HAnim Part 1, and HAnim Part 2 Motion Animation, to ISO Draft International Specification (DIS).

	Urgent HAnim Specification Improvements for DIS Submission
	https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v1peZ-k-k4u6vGAAEHtw5qEN-3OTZmpN3Vg3kNJgVp4

Need to get the DIS document submitted by end of May to meet hard ISO deadlines.  The HAnim working group is now meeting weekly at Wednesday 1700 pacific to achieve this goal.

We reviewed the hurry/wait/hurry sequence that got us here.  Also an unexpected ISO submission misstep was identified and fixed last week (thank you Dick and Myeong for that correction).

Our goal to finish DIS specification document remains 31 MAY 2018.

Early this week the spec editors regular review uncovered some previously overlooked Mantis items.  We need to confirm which have impact on the HAnim DIS specifications and work to resolution.  Noted on HAnim mailing list, will get further discussed tonight.

William Glascoe and Joe Williams are helping Dick, Don and Myeong Won Lee with these important efforts.

We will further proceed as very far as possible with Web3D Consortium requirements for examples, implementations and evaluations.  This will be largely accomplished, but probably not 100%.

There is definitely much opportunity for engagement.  We welcome all new participation - taking on one of the specific tasks (such as content or document review) is a great way to learn more and help.

==================================

On 3/28/2018 6:19 AM, vmarchetti at kshell.com wrote:
> For agenda item 2:
> A draft replacement for the Profiles diagram is attached, source file (SVG) at
> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Ex4A_3_Ahb39izfjq2vnaVMGJ8l7GoLN?usp=sharing

(also attached to this mail for easy reference)

On 3/28/2018 6:34 AM, Anita Havele wrote:
> Thank you Vince, this diagram is more descriptive than the current one.
>
> As discussed on the communication call last week, X3D profiles and how they are used is the most asked question.
>
> X3D Profiles page needs an update. http://www.web3d.org/x3d/profiles

We discussed how best to communicate Profile and Component relationships.  Keen to provide an overview diagram, not immense detail.  Vince's diagram is excellent for that purpose.

Noted that Immersive Profile includes Prototypes and matches VRML97 functionality.

Noted that Full Profile includes all X3D components comprehensively.

Noted a possible addition, perhaps a second diagram that shows a center profile (Core, Interactive, whatever) plus components to achieve whatever X3D palette is desired.  Interesting to think about.

We agreed to improve and put this on the web3D.org Profiles page, apply a Creative Commons license, and someday consider adding to X3D Specification documents in github if appropriate.

Excellent discussion today.  We will consider further and update the X3D Profiles page during a future X3D Working Group meeting.

==================================

> 3. *Public and Member Feedback.* Many ways are available to discuss issues.  They are listed at
>
>      X3D Resources: Feedback
>      http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#Feedback
>
> Feedback on the specification is provided by using the form.
>
>      Web3D Standards Comment Form
>      http://www.web3d.org/content/web3d-standards-comment-form
>
> * The form is used for identifying specification issues, detailed bug reports, suggestions and changes.
> * Reporting problems and recommending changes are important steps, they prevent grief for future authors and implementers.
> * Sending in the report gets the issue into the bug-tracking system and also sent to the mailing list for discussion.
> * If you first login as a Web3D Consortium member, a log of your posts is maintained for your convenience.
>
> X3D working group then adds the new issues to the Mantis issue tracker.  Discussion on email and teleconference helps our shared understanding and lets us "zero in" on precise improvements.

Feedback sent separately to Web3D Webmaster that additional projects need to be listed on the pull-down menu.

To exercise the system, we entered this comment as Mantis issue 1232.

http://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1232

Also tried to attach a file (Spec Comment form image, attached) but got the following error.  This problem matches the trouble report posted by John Carlson originally.

Mantis server error:
----------------------
APPLICATION ERROR #503
*Invalid upload path. Directory either does not exist or not writable to webserver.*
----------------------

This Website file upload problem added as Mantis issue 1233.
http://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1233

==================================

> 4. *Mantis Issues.*  This is where issues and progress are tracked by Web3D members.
>
> We will continue the pattern of working on Mantis issues every other week, reviewing new posts and performing triage (accept/request info/resolve).
>
> To get directly into the Mantis issue tracker:
>
>      http://www.web3D.org
>      Web3Dmember login
>      menu: MEMBERS > CONTENT > MANTIS ISSUE TRACKER
>
>      now a second (repeated) member login is required...
>
>      now a third (repeated) member login is required...
>      http://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/login_page.php
>
>      finally landing at
>      http://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/my_view_page.php
>
> Difficulties can be sorted out during the call, or help requested at
>
>      Web3D: Contact Us
>      http://www.web3d.org/contact

Useful discussions today.  Thanks!

> 5. Community participants are welcome to join this important activity.  To learn more and join, please see
>
>      Join the Web3D Consortium
>      http://www.web3d.org/join

We all benefit when we all contribute.

Thanks for all interest and activity.  Have fun with X3D!   8)