[x3d-public] vtk.js JSON format. Will X3DJSAIL output glTF?

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Wed May 9 07:10:42 PDT 2018

John,

glTF is a container file. It just lays out the structure of the
contents. The geometry, animation (including skinning animation), and
textures are all stored separately as binary files (with the exception
that the binary files can be stored inside the glTF as URIs using the
'data' protocol - see RFC2397). Only the structure is JSON. Also the
structure part of glTF is not streamable nor currently (as of V2.0)
supports geometric compression.

Leonard Daly

> Yes, I saw that. That’s what developed my interest.  I will be
> travelling to California for a wedding June 13^th -17^th , and didn’t
> want to plan another trip so close to that.
>
> Reactive Vega also has a JSON format for 2D visualization, and I think
> Kibana uses JSON as well, at least for data, and for storing
> dashboards in Elastic. I’m wondering if we should try to standardize.
>  I do not think that glTF is a particularly good format for
> visualization (something SVG-like would be better), but I could be
> wrong, depending on what’s developed on top of it.  Perhaps writing
> extensions or SVG-JSON would be appropriate?  glTF is fine for
> low-level 3D stuff.  So what do we do, write a high-level serverside
> streaming visualization library which outputs glTF?   What if the
> input to the library was X3D JSON, vtk.js JSON, Reactive Vega,
> SVG-JSON or ???   Can X3DJSAIL output glTF?
>
> Should we start writing toStringGLTF() in X3DJSAIL?  Don?   Should we
> write the conversion in XSLT or JavaScript or Java?

> Windows 10

*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant
LA ACM SIGGRAPH Past Chair