[x3d-public] GeoPlanets

Mike McCann mccann at mbari.org
Mon May 14 12:46:54 PDT 2018

> On May 13, 2018, at 5:39 PM, Andreas Plesch <andreasplesch at gmail.com> wrote:
> My understanding is that the deprecation of GeoOrigin assumed that
> browsers would be able to use internally high precision (with doubles
> or better).

In addition, it was assumed that browser would implement an internally managed local origin when needed for high precision. This approach was tested in xj3d.

We decided to not deprecate GeoOrigin because few other browsers implemented an internally managed local origin and the perceived need to allow mashup of arbitrary Geospatial content was less than the need to have high precision in browsers for specific content.

-Mike