[x3d-public] CDATA sections don't show up on this X3D Resources Example, BasicShaders, that I can see in the decorated X3D

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Tue May 22 08:52:03 PDT 2018

Doug,

> I don't know if spec comments is fixed yet, I'll say an idea and my
> intention is that the same rules apply to it as if I had done the spec
> comment form.
> X3D SPEC COMMENT PUBLIC CONDITION APPLIES >>>>>>>>
> Could / should there be something in x3d equivalent to (in C) #ifdef
> that x3d parsers can filter based on the browser or other criteria?

I think that would not be a good idea for a general filter. I am not
opposed for filtering for capabilities (e.g., if (GPU has NURBS)...),
but filtering based on a specific type or version of an X3D browser is
not good. It either indicates that the spec is not good enough or the
browser is not spec compliant. Putting that hack into code to cover for
larger problems just punts (or dribbles) the problem down the line. What
happens if a browser were to change that condition or another browser
were to call itself by the same name?

If a server is providing X3D, it should provide spec-compliant X3D, not
based on some browser that may change over time. The browser associated
with the initial accessor may not be the browser that is used for display.

Leonard Daly

> <condition name='browser' value='x_ite'>
> <condition_true>
> ... nodes
> </condition_true>
> <condition_false>
> .. nodes
> </condition_false>
> </condition>
>
> Then any un-reconcilable differences in browser technology can be
> filtered either at parse time, or by some ETL extract transform load
> filtering tool that take out the conditional elements.
> Maybe xml has that already?
> And authoring tools could support all browser technology with one file.
> <<<<<<<<<<< X3D SPEC COMMENT PUBLIC CONDITION APPLIES
> -Doug
>
> On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 6:31 AM, GPU Group <gpugroup at gmail.com
> <mailto:gpugroup at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     - revisiting old topic from this time last year
>     http://dug9.users.sourceforge.net/web3d/tests/ProgrammableShaders/SimpleShader/SimpleShader_kambu_desktop.x3d
>     <http://dug9.users.sourceforge.net/web3d/tests/ProgrammableShaders/SimpleShader/SimpleShader_kambu_desktop.x3d>
>     - this one works in freewrl, although outer layer renders thinner.
>     -Doug
>
>     On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 11:05 PM, John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com
>     <mailto:yottzumm at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         Also, I think comments in a GLSL shader start with a //, not a
>         #.  Or surround in /* … */
>
>         Sent from Mail
>         <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

*Leonard Daly*