[x3d-public] OrthoViewpoint fieldOfView - and display size

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Fri May 25 17:30:28 PDT 2018

Succinct response to good analysis:  it seems like we can achieve:

a. a singular consistent 1-tuple definition for fieldOfView field in Viewpoint, GeoViewpoint (and likely X3DViewpointNode).

b. a separate additional definition for OrthoViewpoint functionality that maximizes consistency with existing fields (i.e. unchanged view direction) and maps well to OpenGL/HTML5/SVG.

The Mozilla functions are certainly interesting.  For maximum interoperability of scene content, we should be looking most closely at:

c. best consistency forOpenGL/HTML5/SVG specifications themselves, and

d. best ability to X3D authors to control viewing area, either using native X3D or hybrid HTML5/X3D.

Plus perhaps one more thing:  looking ahead with X3D v4.1 in mind, look at how

e. draft WebVR specification addresses aspect ration and screen pixel dimensions.