[x3d-public] OrthoViewpoint fieldOfView - and display size

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Sat May 26 20:05:17 PDT 2018

On 5/26/2018 11:46 AM, Andreas Plesch wrote:

> My overall impression is that WebXR ... It likely takes into
> account the device aspect ratio and would be a perspective projection,
> and never(?) orthographic. There is also a viewport compatible with
> webgl (and perhaps OpenGL) viewports.

I would go further and remove the "(?)" from Andreas' statement. Having
a stereoscopic orthographic projection/display of content does not make
any sense to me. The point of a stereoscopic display is to make it look
more like the real world where stereoscopic vision provides depth
perception. Making each eye see an orthographic projection would totally
ruin the brain's processing of the presented visual clues. There would
be no vanishing point or different oblique views presented to each eye.

If there were such a thing, the display presented to one eye would be
slightly offset from the other eye. There would be no different
perspective view from each eye to tell the brain the depth of the object.

--
*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant