[x3d-public] both X3DOM and X_ITE.

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Mon May 28 11:47:01 PDT 2018

There just does not seem a lot of demand or requests by users or
customers. Of course, this may be a chicken and egg problem.
Contributions to x3dom or x_ite are always welcome, in any case.

For x3dom, my interest would be probably the glTF angle. glTF has
character animation. Here is an example:
https://www.donmccurdy.com/2017/11/06/creating-animated-gltf-characters-with-mixamo-and-blender/

The best explanation, apart from studying glTF loaders, is apparently
in this figure, sorry about that:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/KhronosGroup/glTF/master/specification/2.0/figures/gltfOverview-2.0.0a.png

There is probably a lot of overlap between glTF and HAnim and it would
be important to understand how both relate to each other to be able to
support both. I think Leonard tried to tackle this but focusing
specifically on glTF-HAnim may be constructive. For example, a
translation of a simple glTF character to an HAnim humanoid would be a
good first step.

A functional, minimal subset of HAnim of nodes and/or a Proto-based
implementation of the nodes would also help implementers.

A main challenge will be probably the requirement to have vertex
geometry manipulation in a shader on the GPU. This is done only for
displacement textures of a CommonSurfaceShader node currently in
x3dom.

-Andreas

--
Andreas Plesch