[x3d-public] both X3DOM and X_ITE.

Joseph D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Mon May 28 16:47:54 PDT 2018

No, those are just comments trying to promote browser makers to  actually implement the new nodes rather than use the protos. A test of a browser is to get rid of the protos and run it. The protos served as a fine development tool and helped the various contributors and toolmakers of the time to agree on details.

At the time, all did full hanim with no problems. Thus, protos are not deprecated in x3d hanim. The only purpose to the Humanoid container and its contents is to encourage organization and centralization of the documentation, and use some names that are realistic from a technical humanoidal sense, like if your understanding what is really the process is not shielded by the user interface. I mean if you wish to move the arm by bending the elbow do you want to think about orientation of the lower arm bone or simply deal with rotation of the parent joint?

Any authoring environment without protos and scripts is very bleak.

Really, all hanim is basic, the hierarchy, the associated data structures, the rendering expectations, all of it.

It just gets harder when we add convenience features like hanim Displacer and hanim joint(s)-skin bindings.

Thanks and Best,
Joe